Used MacBook Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dt1027, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dt1027 macrumors newbie

dt1027

Ok, I am a life long PC user who has tentatively decided to make the leap to Mac, but right now I just can't really afford even a EDU discounted Macbook, so I started looking around on Craigslist. Found the following and was hoping that somebody who knows more than I do, could give me a hand. I don't really need the computer to do that much other than e-mail, web surfing and itunes. Here are the specs:
    Apple Macbook (Black) 2ghz Intel Core-Duo Processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, and OS X Tiger 10.4. Applecare till 5/20/2009.

I think hes asking around $700 for it, which seems decent, but I don't know if i'll end up spending more upgrading the RAM (if I need to) or upgrading to Leopard. Please let me know what you think, thanks, and thanks to everyone posting on here, i've been trolling around for a while and it seems like a great place for advice.

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Sounds good, upgrading the RAM is a necessity though. 512MB is not enough, especially for Leopard.

3. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

depending on the macbook, yours most likely only takes up to two gigs of ram, I paid 55 at crucial.com and got two gigs of ram. Also, if you have an education discount at say a University bookstore, some of them get leopard for 70 bucks, regardless, Tiger is great and you can get leopard down the road when you have a few extra bucks

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I too would recommend more RAM, especially if you plan to email, surf, and listen to music at the same time.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can find 2 gigs of ram for $40 @ Newegg. You don't need Leopard to do anything you'd be doing; Tiger would work just fine.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Nice deal. I would just upgrade the RAM for a faster computer. Other than that you're set to go.

7. eswank macrumors 6502

I buy all my RAM from macsales.com. I haven't had a problem ever since I was introduced to their site. I'm thinking about purchasing the base model MacBook and just max out the RAM so that I can use it as a travel notebook.

IMO, upgrading to Leopard is worth it. It doesn't matter how much the cost is.