Used Macbook Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Crazysah, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Crazysah macrumors member

Hello,

So while I wait to buy a laptop (which won't be till Feb or so), my friend lent me his old white macbook. I have a few questions;

1. Can I transfer my Applecare from my stolen laptop to his?
    2. If so, are chargers covered under the warranty?
    3. If not, where can I buy the cheapest warranty for it?
    4. Lion never finished downloading on ky computer, can I download it on this computer? Also, is it worth it?
    5. The battery life has been significantly reduced. Anything I can do about that?

Thanks,
    Crazysah

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

1. highly doubt it.
    2. maybe, but I'm not sure on that one
    3. I don't think you would be able to buy a warranty for it at this point.
    4. You can download Lion, provided you have a core 2 duo and at least 2GB RAM, although you probably want more than that.
    5. Pretty much limited to buying a new battery.

3. Crazysah, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

Crazysah thread starter macrumors member

According to this though, it is transferable;

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Or is it not? ALso, are you sure battery is not covered under it? And about Lion, do I have to purchase it again?

Also, where can I buy a charger for it for cheap? I don't want the one from the apple store. It costs too much!

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Apple care is associated with the computer.
    When they say it is transferable, they mean that if you sell the machine the new buyer also gets the warranty.
    So basically, the person that stole your laptop also stole your warranty.
    You should contact apple and let them know it was stolen. They may be able to do something about the warranty.

The lion download you bought is associated with your itunes id. You do not have to pay for it again.
    Sign into the app store as you and it should show up as purchased.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That means it transfers to the new owner if you sell/give away the computer.

The battery is absolutely excluded from AppleCare (and it doesn't matter, because you can't transfer your AppleCare to the old MacBook). It's a consumable part, which means it gets worn out by use. It'd be like covering brake pads in a car warranty. They're covered if they fail prematurely, but your MacBook is too old for that to be the case. As minifridge pointed out, Lion is linked to your Apple ID (not iTunes ID) so you won't have to purchase it again.

I HIGHLY recommend only using Apple chargers. Apple has not licensed magsafe to anyone else, so all non-apple chargers you find are reverse-engineered and may or may not work properly. It's not worth it.

That being said, there are some decently cheap chargers on Amazon and you could see if you can grab a used one off eBay.

6. Crazysah thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the replies.

So, it is a 2007 macbook bought in Italy, so I guess the warranty is out of the question. It is the white macbook.

Should I install Lion? Will it make it better?
    The battery life isn't very long. Should I replace the batter? How much will it cost me?
    As for the charger, I will only use the official charger but is there anyway I can get a second hand one for cheaper?

Crazysah

7. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

This is about right. 1. I'm pretty positive you couldn't.

8. Crazysah thread starter macrumors member