used macbook vs. used macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Concorde105, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Concorde105 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm in the market for replacing my 2005 12" G4 PowerBook. I DO realize that it IS almost 5 years old, still got lotsa life left. For some people. I use my computer for gaming and youtube, and I have yet to find a single new Flash game that actually runs with litttle or no stuttering... :( So, anyways, back to the point of this post:

My budget is probably 400-600 dollars not including the return for my PowerBook. So don't tell me "just get a 13" MacBook Pro!" Because I asked my parents, and they said used was the only option unless I wanted a PC. And, a used MBP would probably be a better value than the PC laptop with a Pentium D 2.0 GHz processor, especially because of the (I think) more advanced architecture, and the keyboard backlighting and stuff... Oh yeah. The MBP is a Mac too, and can run Windows if I need it to, which I might, but I have a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (I KNOW they are horribly inefficient) for that. I just need my laptop to be good with that stuff too. :D
    I'm considering either a used MacBook white (probably 1.83/2.0 GHZ Core Duo) or a MacBook Pro (probably same speed as MacBook). Right now I'm leaning towards the Pros because they are only 100-250 US dollars more than the MacBook for what I would consider, and you get keyboard backlighting, better sound quality, larger screen, *mostly* more RAM and more HDD space. Also, not that this REALLY needs to be mentioned, but I am going to pick up a 80 GB external HD for backing up my files before shipping out my PowerBook, and for backup later.

I'll either list my PowerBook on eBay or on Low End Mac's used computer list, where hopefully I might get a bit more money for it.

So... What's your opinion?

EDIT: Oh yeah, SL is not a necessity, but Leopard would be nice... :) (again, not necessary)

... In afterthought, that was a really messy post... :p

Off topic: I don't CARE, John... Share? Schere? lol

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Worth every penny.

I suggest you keep saving for this. The 2.0 GHz model shows up sometimes for US$749.

3. Concorde105 thread starter macrumors newbie

ooooh... I'll keep my eye on that. :) But remember, I DO have a small budget, might be a bit out of my price range. lol. And backlight keyboard and bigger 15" screen are considerations too. ;)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A refurbished MacBook doesn't have all the feature flair of a Macbook Pro but keep in mind you get a warranty and the chance for AppleCare.

It's also the 9400M G version which seems to be a must to get everything from Snow Leopard too.

5. Concorde105 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehehehe, just unconsciously switched to Safari from Firefox... I had to log in again... :)

But, anyways, I'm getting a MacBook from school like last year, and they feel a little flimsy compared to the MacBook Pro. And, I'm not used to the chicklet keyboard, although a lot of the review sites I've seen say once you get used to it, it's better. A Core 2 Duo, 160 GB HD, and 2 GB RAM are a little enticing... Although, maybe a refurb would last a bit longer than a used MBP... My parents would also like if I could get a computer that would last through high school, which means one that would last 6 years. The reason I'm not keeping the G4 is because it's not Intel, and it's 167 MHz bus cripples it... -.- So, I think that the new name of this thread should be "Refurb MB or used MBP". :) Anyways, I might just be able to convince my parents to get the refurb 'Book. Either one would be good, it depends on what my budget status is after I sell my G4. Now I just need more opinions, lol.

EDIT: We need to get our own computers for high school, that's why I was wanting it to last through high school. Of course, there will be the lucky few with the brand new 3.5 GHz 17" MBPs. (Just predicting the speed, lol)

EDIT 2: Off topic: What's with all the BSA ads all of a sudden? ...

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

A used MacBook Pro (classic model, 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, good condition) will run you around $1,200 on the low end. They aren't cheap. You should look for a white MacBook if your budget is constrained. The 15 inch pro's tend to be pricy if they are well taken care of.

7. Concorde105 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, yes, I know. I was considering a Core Duo Pro, because good quality used ones are 600-800 buckaroos. So... Yeah, I might end up going with the refurb WhiteBook.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd wonder who would get a Classic 8600M GT when the refurbished 9600M GT UniBody can run down to $1349.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Really? I haven't ever seen one for that low. I have seen $1450 on one. Some people like the replaceable battery and matte screen (which is what I have on mine). Plus to some people, a $250 price difference is significant.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The matte screen aspect just hit me. The previous generation Unibody MBP had a removable battery.

The $1349 - 1499 refurbs sell really fast though. I haven't seen them in weeks.

11. Concorde105 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Concorde105 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again, I found a website, http://www.sellamac.com/, that has an estimated purchase price of 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook G4s of $300. My 'Book has a few dents in it, so it might not get that much, but it might be enough to convince my parents to get me a refurb 2.0 GHz uniMB. -crosses fingers- lol :)