Used Macbook Warranty Concern

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by powahpowah, Apr 17, 2017.

1. powahpowah macrumors newbie

powahpowah

Hello,
    I recently bought a used macbook pro with 2 years of warranty remaining.
    But since this mac has only had 1 owner, i'm concerned about this person cancelling the warranty and getting a partial refund.
    I have not mentioned this concern with him since he may not be aware of the possibility of the partial refund(don't want to shoot my own foot).
    Is there anything I could do to prevent such an incident or is there no such thing and i'm just overthinking?
    I am new to the whole mac system, so i'm sorry for my simple questions.
    Thank you for your time.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

The only sure way I know to prevent this is to have the old owner transfer the AppleCare coverage to you. Then it would be in your name and they could not cancel it for the refund.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can transfer ownership by simply providing the apple product serial number to AppleCare. But I don't see how you can prevent someone from trying to recoup partial credit. All they need is - serial numbers and proof of purchase.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If it was sold to you with warranty then they would be going back on the deal and would be liable to take the computer back with a refund... just ask them to transfer it to your name as indicated above.