Used MacBook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JimmyDThing, Sep 4, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I found a used MacBook on craigslist and I'm going to go look at it this week.

I have a few questions... can you get AppleCare without the receipt as long as it's within a year of the purchase using the Serial Number?

And... any things I should be on the lookout for?

It's a base MacBook... 2.0GHz Intel C2D, 80GB hard drive, 1GB ram, etc, etc... It was purchased in august... she wants 900 for it, is that a fair price?

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

check apple refurbs you will be getting a better deal, and a 1 year warranty!

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

900 doesnt sound very fair.
    for 100 more you could get new (using a student discount, you must know SOMEONE who is) and you would get a years warranty.

if buying new isnt an option buy refurb

4. grovertdog macrumors regular

Yes, you should be able to purchase Applecare, provided the Macbook is still within its one year warranty. You'll be able to verify the "service date" or whatever Apple calls it when you have the serial number at Apple's website.

I'd be happier at $750 fwiw, and you may have some haggling room. Definitely come armed with the prices of what Apple is selling "refurbs" for- it will bolster your negotiating position. Also, make sure she has the original "restore" OS/X discs. Get her system password as well just in case there is a problem with the discs.

I have a similar computer, and for $119 swapped out the 80gb drive (which I now have in an enclosure) for a 160gb model- was a cinch (provided you have a friend with a macbook for the easiest possible migration).

Good luck!

5. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody... I feel armed for negotiation now.

Refurb is an option, but I thought I might be able to get her down... I'm assuming she knows her asking price is high.

If it's within warranty, does it matter that its ownership would be transfered? It shouldn't... because she said she just bought it in August.

Once again... thanks for all your help.

6. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

You didn't mention if it had a superdrive, extended warranty, etc. That may add to the price but I'd definitely try to negotiate for $850

7. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

If she bought it in august and its 2.0 C2D and 80GB HDD and all that, doesn't it HAVE to be Combo Drive?

Unless she added Super Drive... but I doubt it.