used machine...less than 12 mths old

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Oct 26, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hi guys,

What's the situation with the warranty, when the system is used? i.e. Second-hand.

I've just checked Apple's warranty checker and according it it, it's only 4-5 months old... Does that mean I can purchase Applecare or not? Bearing in mind I'm not the original purchaser..

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can buy Applecare for up to 1 year from the date of original purchase, and I believe it is transferrable.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

You can purchase and activate Applecare for any machine under 12 months old.

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Do I need the original receipt?

Cause I didn't get it..:(

Anyway....

Basically I found a MBP Penryn 2.5Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 250Gb HD and 512Mb Gfx with Japanese Keyboard for about $750.
    Come with all accessories but no outer box or original printed manuals. Oh.. and there's a fairly deep scratch on the
    base but everything appears to work without a hitch.

Good or bad deal?

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've never been asked for a receipt unless I was trying to prove a unit was NOT more than a year old and their system showed it was. Usually in the case of purchases from Apple resellers when buying old stock.

You should be ok.

Cheers,

6. molala macrumors 6502a

I haven't activated AppleCare for anything in a while, but I never needed a receipt. You just need the serial number. The warranty checker knows it is still under 12 months so you can still add AppleCare.

7. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope, local Mac reseller store here in Japan. They've slashed the prices of used Macs to make way for ex-demo and clearance stock. Hence they're now at the price at "used mac" prices, while used Mac prices have dropped yet further!! It's great for a bargain hunter but bad for someone who's looking to sell their old system.

Seems in Japan, many people will sell their old model Macbooks and MacBookPro's in favour of owning the latest hardware. Most don't care if it's good or not, they just wanna be cool, have the latest techno-gadget-gizmo.

Already, you can fine 1.8Ghz MacBook Air's on the "used" lot, along with shiny, fully boxed and barely used iPhones. According to some friends, it's common practice! Guess that's why mobile phones older than six months are given away for almost free! Usually for 1円.

Anything approaching a year old, just doesn't sell if the price remains the same... that'll include consoles, but in department stores they'll stay the same price cause tourist love buying them, to them it's new!!

8. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Yeah, the Japanese culture is very much geared towards the newest and newest only mentality. I spent 2 years there and was amazed at how fast technology progresses; in America it seems we get about every 4th revision of a Japanese product as we don't switch-up nearly as fast.

9. itcomic macrumors member

You can buy apple care as long as your warranty is still valid. If you think you will use your machine for a long time, highly recommand you to buy apple care as Quality control is declining since Steve is back.

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sound like the UK!! I think many people there are still waiting for their Glassy MBP!! Here, some stores have already sold out, Apple seems to be deliverying them as they're being shifted though the door!! Personally, I prefer the Classic MBP matches my MacPro more!

Well, I've been in Japan on and off for the past few years, I can't remember how many keitai's i've had since been here but I'm already on my forth one this year! :D

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i'm not sure you need a receipt if you register online. all you need is a serial # and a registration code. but who knows, i haven't done it myself.

12. motoxpress macrumors 6502

The best test is to get the serial number and type it into Apple's warranty status page. That will tell you.

-mx