Used market - UK Prices - confused!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kultschar, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Hi

I love my iMac but sick of its Hard Drive limitation due to all my media needs (I have a large film library I stream over my house) and I have started dabbling in Logic and a huge array of power hungry plug-ins.

The Mac Pro makes perfect sense however a new one is off the cards financially hence ive been looking at second hand / used markets.

Anyhow I think I have sussed out the diff chipsets and diff models etc :eek: but a bit baffled in the huge leap in prices i.e. 2.8 (8 Core) going for less then 2.26 (8 Core)

Is the market just wild at the moment or is this the norm??????

2. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

The 2.8 (8 core) is from 2008 and the 2.26 is from 2009, so in the later they will be more ram, bigger HD, faster graphics card etc.

I'd say go for the 2008, I used that for audio professionally for audio and I never pushed the thing to the limit (40+ stereo channels in Logic with Waves/SSL/Sonnox plugins) Be careful with ones with Nvidea graphics cards, as it seems there's been quite a few with defects (Or so I've been told by an Apple repair guy, I'm getting a free upgrade to an new model because my '08 has had to be repaired 4 times)

3. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks for your reply!!

I would ask you what you recommend is a good price for a 2.8 (8 core) however I guess the RAM configuration has a big say?

4. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

To be honest, I have no idea! I paid I think around £1800 for it (With an Ipod and applecare when I was a student)

This doesn't seem too bad. It would be really easy (and cheap) to put 6 gigs of ram in or so, and should hold up pretty well with Logic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mac-Pro-2-66GHz-Quad-Core-2Gig-RAM-160Gig-500GigHD-/320574771669?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV#ht_512wt_1139