Used MBP 5,5 Mid 2009 worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jayomat, Apr 26, 2013.

  1. Jayomat macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2009

    I'm currently running a Macbook 2,1 with 10.7.5. I use it as a mobile development machine (my main machine is a windows box with 16GB blabla...), and although it's no where near a great performer, it does decently considering it's age.

    The main reason I'm asking this question is because my machine seriously lacks RAM, and it hurts, a LOT. The 2,1 models only support 3GB of 667Mhz RAM (which I obviously maxed out on a while ago). I don't have too much issues with the processor, but the RAM "experience" is terrible. When I run Eclipse, Webstorm, Browser (or Parallels) simultaneously, I work with around 20MB (yes, MB!) free RAM, and the fans spin on 6000RPM the while time.

    I wanted to wait for the new Haswell MBP, but I already have a 256GB SSD, and I mainly want new RAM. So I figured why not spend less than 1/2 of the money and get by another 2 years maybe?!

    The mid 09 MBP sport 8GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM max, the NVIDIA 9400M, SD slot and backlit keyboard, run ML, with the later being nice addition and so on. The CPU power is not my main concern, also I use it mostly in the lab plugged in, so battery-life is not THAT critical either, but as far as I know the 09er have "7 hrs".

    So my concrete questions are basically just a these two:

    - Can I run youtube 720p videos without the fans going ape-**** with the NVIDIA 9400M? :eek:
    - Is it worth approx. 550€ (600€ with RAM) without the RAM upgrade?

    I estimate that I would get around +2 years of usage out of this machine, which would cost me around 600€ total with the new RAM. I understand that the new Haswell MBPs are far supperior, but considering my current machine, and the price difference (this around 600€ vs around 1500 for a new).

    Thanks for any helpful answers!
  2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816


    Oct 19, 2012
    Answering only....

    your second question, I would expect a machine as you had described, without the RAM upgrade, can go between 320-450 pounds. Good care of the machine, no cosmetic and functional issues and AppleCare (if any) can be factors afecting the price.

  3. RedCroissant Suspended

    Aug 13, 2011
    That machine would run 1080p youtube videos with no problem with the 9400M. I know this because the mid-09 MBP is the same configuration as the early-09 iMac(2.66GHz C2D) which I owned for 4 years before selling and it was a wonderful machine. If you mostly have the machine plugged in, you might want to consider an iMac as well and it might even cost you less. I sold my iMac for $500(roughly 383€)
  4. jg321 macrumors 6502

    Aug 29, 2012
    If you can manage this then you're doing better than me. I can't wait for an excuse to get a new Mac, not because my current one is slow (2011 Core i5) but because I like new shiny things! In your position I'd probably have your intentions but then blow the money anyway when the Haswell ones come out.

    I know you said that CPU power wasn't important to you, but the thing that comes to mind for me is the drastic performance difference between Core 2 Duo and Core i series chips. Sandy Bridge seems to be the sweet spot I'd say (not even sure that Apple did any first gen Core chips?).

    If you do have the self control and want to buy a bit more time without buying new then I'd probably go for something 2011 onwards.

    Also, if it is plugged in all the time, consider a Mac Mini! That will probably be my next purchase as iPad/work laptop have made my original MacBook Pro pretty much a desktop!
  5. Jayomat, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

    Jayomat thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2009
    After reconsidering all aspects, I actually went with an early 2011 MBP and decided the model in question is actually not worth it.... The 2011er im getting has an i5 2,3 Ghz, Intel HD 3000 and some other fancy stuff like SDcard-reader, thunderbold and 1333 Mhz RAM :D Im not sure about the max RAM, I guess it's 8GB?

    I figured basically not upgrading the CPU would be a waste of time and money. Buying a C2D in 2013 seems kinda pointless, especially when I upgrade from a 2007 Macbook, which has a 2,1Ghz C2D ... I'm not sure if I will notice the difference in everyday use (mostly compiling stuff ;)) but I really dont want a C2D :)

    An iMac is out of question, I have a windows PC at home, don't think an imac is worth the hefty price tag (I know, the screen is awesome, but nonetheless, the GFX card are subpar), as a mac mini is, because while I said I mainly use it plugged in, that doesn't mean I want to carry around a keyboard and mice in the university/lab, also, working in bed is awesome too ;)

Share This Page