Used MBP buying help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tfb, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Tfb macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting a 15" or 17" MBP for home use and occasional portability. My needs are fairly basic and it's only for the larger screen size that I'm considering the Pro machine. On ebay the ones in my price range seem to be 2007 and 2008 models.

I will be running Office (preferably 2011) and using the web, for the most part. I like to have many apps/browser windows open, but I don't do anything very processor demanding (no video editing or anything).

I never considered a pro machine before so I don't know anything about their history. How are these machines? Will the work for my needs? Is one year preferably to the other? Worth it to shop hard for a deal on a 2009? What would be a good deal for them and what would be a steal? Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you!

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A used or refurb MBP should fit your needs quite well, although it's worth mentioning that external monitors (~$200 or less) can solve any screen real estate problems in a hurry. No year is particularly better than any other - it'll mostly come down to budget.

4. Tfb thread starter macrumors member

The largest screen size for the MBA is 13"

Thanks, good to know! I am also weighing an external monitor but given my space constraints I'd pretty much have to wall mount it, which:
    • intimidates me
    • makes it less portable than anything (right?)
    • seems complicated and potentially equally as expensive as an old MBP. (Am I totally wrong about that?)

Thanks!

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I'm typing this on a 2009 MBP and it's an awesome machine. I replaced the hard disk with an SSD and the computer is faster than the day I bought it. If you're set on buying used, I would wholeheartedly recommend this year. If you're going for a new one, I'd go for the old body style. The graphics aren't up to snuff on the new style, IMO. I'd also go for the lower processor speed and upgrade the HD to an SSD. The result will be much faster than the high end with stock HD. Also, the graphics card is likely to be the first thing that makes the computer "old" in the future, not the processor speed.

6. Tfb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the strong recommendation! I'm a bit confused though, isn't the 2009 the new body style?