Used MPB i7 2,5Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lunitik007, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Lunitik007 macrumors newbie

I'm buying 5 months old Macbook Pro here are specs:

MBP 15,4" i7 2,5 Ghz
    HD6770m 1GB
    8 GB RAM
    750GB HDD
    HiRes Antiglare

What are most common errors on this model I should watch for?
    What is the best quick usb portable diagnostic tool to test this MBP?

Price is $1250, I hope it's not stolen. Is there any way how can I check if it's stolen?
    Seller doesn't got receipt but he gave me a picture of Sys info where I could read serial number. I did check serial number on popular "report stolen" sites - and nothing :rolleyes:
    I checked on :apple: and warranty is valid till january 2013.

2. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

It could be stolen, Mac2Sell says the price should be $1900

3. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

That laptop is extremely similar to the laptop I just sold for around $1400 including shipping and everything. Except the processor is better and it's a late 2011 versus mine which was an early 2011. Pretty sure you're getting a really great deal...try to talk him down less and it'll be even better.

Mine was:
    Early 2011 2.2 GHZ i7
    1GB Radeon GPU, can't remember the model
    8GB RAM
    Antiglare Screen
    500 GB 7200 RPM HDD (equal in price to 500GB 5400 RPM HDD)

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

If it sounds too good to be true......

Caveat emptor.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

From what it sounds like, it's a great deal, not a steal. I think the price is within $200-300 of what i could be at its best.

6. user418, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Refurb store says $1779 with a full year warranty. Only difference is 4 GB RAM as far as I can tell.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released October 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution

4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NM1LL/A

My bad. The model OP describes with 2.5 GHz processor is $1829. Again, the only difference is the RAM.

Originally released October 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution

4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NM5LL/A

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Yeah the 2.5 processor was like $250 more for whatever reason. That one does come with a warranty, but this one is still under warranty and can get Applecare if needed. I think he's getting a really good deal then- saving over $500 from Apple.

8. DavesIknow macrumors member

DavesIknow

Some people just need to sell legit stuff quick - and can't post it for suggested price and wait and wait for a buyer.

Some people ask way too much for things and they never sell.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I think we all agree it's a good deal. I believe the point as expressed by OP is "I hope it's not stolen". Just saying he should be very careful and exercise caution in his purchase. Things to consider but not answered:

- System info can be faked
    - 5 months old and no receipt
    - Buying from friend, eBay, or CL

Would hate to see anybody get ripped off in search of a "good deal". Do a search on MR and you'll probably turn up a few instances. I hope it works out because that's an awesome MBP.

10. Lunitik007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all answers...:)
    I'm going to meet in public with seller next week to try MBP in live and if it's all good buy it right away.

Is there any quick diagnostic tool (portable app on USB stick) so I can preform live test on this used MBP?

So when I open on that MBP system information app, I could be reading fake information?:eek:

11. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I recently bought pretty much the same machine (six month old i7 2.4Ghz) and we went to an Apple store together, where an Apple guy checked the serial number and verified the AppleCare coverage (it came with the three-year plan so still has 2.5 years left). Aside from that, I just checked the system info and ran a few apps.

12. Lunitik007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but unfortunately nearest :apple: store is far far away :)

I checked on apple support and warranty is valid till january 2013.
    ;)

13. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

In your original post you stated he gave me a "pic of sys info". That aroused my suspicion. Buying from a private seller and meeting in a public place is better than buying off of eBay in my opinion. I, and others, would suggest you take a friend with you to the meeting. That's a lot of cash to be carrying solo to a meeting with a stranger even in a public place. Not sure if Wi-Fi is available where you guys are meeting but here's some info on the Apple Hardware Test. I'm not aware of how long the basic tests take but the extended tests can take hours. Also, not sure of any other means you can verify if stolen or not. Perhaps, as a previous poster stated, it may just be a legit guy looking for a quick sale in order to purchase a new rMBP.

Don't let my own paranoia unduly influence you. However, there are some basic precautions to take to protect yourself and your interests. Bottom line is if you feel good about the seller and the deal act upon it and enjoy your purchase.

Post back and let us know how things turn out.

----------

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what was the asking price?

----------

For those who might be asking why should I care or it's all none of my business? Well, I got burned on a computer purchase before (not a Mac) and I can't tell you how many times I wish I had been aware of sites such as MR. Might have saved myself some heartache and some hard earned money.

14. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

£1275 including a Lexar Expresscard CF cardreader, so equivalent to about £1200. So with the cost of Applecare included, almost exactly half-price for a six-month-old machine - I'm very happy with the deal. :)

I wanted maximum Applecare coverage because it's been discontinued and I figure Apple will keep parts and spare machines around until the end of their Applecare obligations.

15. Lunitik007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it yesterday, swapped 2 old ssd from previous MPB (2010) to new one.

It booted right away, only problem was I had to put sata 3.0 ssd from caddy to main bay. So now my bootable ssd is in caddy and second in main - works flawlessly.

Overrclocked 6770 in bootcamp to 750 GPU and 820 MEM, so Starcraft on ultra with 4v4 doesn't go under 45fps (external display 1080p).

Battery has 46 cycles 97%.

This was a very good deal. :cool: