used my debit card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keepinitjersey, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    to preorder my phone and now i'm being told by ATT CS that i cant use it and it would have to be a major credit card. yet i got a confirmation number for my order through email.

what to do...what to do

2. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Mine

I used my Debit card and it went through

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

They may either cancel your order when it ships or it will charge your card when it ships.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I take it that your debit card doesn't have a Visa/MC logo in it? If it doesn't, then it can't be used. Debit cards with these logos on them act as credit cards when used online.

5. keepinitjersey thread starter Guest

it has the VISA logo on it.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Then you should be good to go but they will most likely charge you again when it ships, so make sure to have enough cash in your account this week.

7. PezRadar macrumors regular

The reason they ask for non Debit cards is due to last year and the multiple authorizations.

Last year they pulled out 2 full iphones from my account yet I only ordered one.. it drained peoples accounts and cost over draft fees (not mine) :)

But.. they are doing it as a precaution so they dont have to deal with banks like last year.

I preordered at an AT&T store this year and tried to give them my Visa Check Card (Debit/Credit) and they wouldn't accept it. So I just gave them one of my other credit cards.

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I would make sure you have enough on your card for the total cost x 2. So if it was $250, you ought to have $500. The reason is, Debit cards are, well, they are money, while credit cards are credit. When Apple Pre-Authd your card, it put a pending charge on your card that WILL go away, but that money is still unavaliable, so if Apple charges for the final shipment and that previous authorization has not fallen off yet, both of those charges will take away from your balance. If you have enough money, there is nothing to worry about. Its really best to use Credit Cards, even if you buy it and pay it off the same month, debit is just too risky.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

So here's a question. I used my bank of america debit card, which does have the visa logo, and all looks good as of this moment. No cancellation, ready to ship, etc. However, I just checked my account and the preauth that was there the 15th is no longer there. Will they still double dip into my account? Or am I in the clear because the preauth dropped off already?

Not too worried about it, either way, just curious.

10. lululalalee macrumors member

I'd like to know this too. I ordered using my BofA Visa Debit card and had the pre-auth fall off yesterday. When I check - my order says it is "in progress". I have googled this question and every one seems to say different things.

11. PezRadar macrumors regular

Call AT&T and check to see they didnt cancel it cuz it was a Debit Card..

But.. you are probably okay. Most of the time authorization charges can only stay on for so many days before they drop off.

Last year they authorized my debit/credit BofA card then they did it again 6-7 days later since that first charge was gonna drop off like a day or so later.

Currently my Chase card only has 1 authorization charge on it. (Credit card)

12. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Only Att had this policy and not apple though. Apple just used my card on file which is a debit card.

13. PezRadar macrumors regular

We are fairly aware of that..

The OP though said he ordered through AT&T - That is why we are discussing that.