Used/New Mac Pro buying advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JasonR, Apr 21, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'd like to purchase a mac pro for my business. 90% of my tasks are the standard email, internet, business software etc. I do run Windows XP through a VM primarily for Quickbooks Pro. I do use Photoshop and Iillustrator about 10% of the time.

My problem, I love Mac's OS, and I want to run one 30" and one to two 20" widescreen displays. This pretty much limits me to running a Mac Pro. I refuse to run a Windows Only PC.

Given this information, do you think a used Mac Pro would work well? If so, which models/years should I be looking for?

For the displays, I'll probably need two video cards, and I'd like an airport card. Are these easy to add if the machine I buy doesnt come with them?

2. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I run 2 monitors on my 08 pro. Even the base ati supports 2. So 2 cards should support you. I'm thinking the 30" apple may be duel link. I just use 3rd party 24 and 20 display.

The main downside to mac for me is the common menu being on primary display. Leads to long mouse movement. I should memorize more shortcuts, but am more familiar with windows and Linux.

One work around is I run my quicken on secondary display. As a windows app it has it's own attached menu.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

@ the OP

Yes, you're right in that any Mac Pro will suit your needs...you'll just need two graphics cards to run you're screens.

My recommendation is to find a refurb 2.8GHz Quad, and buy a second 2600HD for it.

The other route is find an older 2.66Ghz Quad second hand and put a 2600HD in it.

as for the airport thingy
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_Bluetooth_and_Wireless_to_a_Mac_Pro

4. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

For like $2400, you can buy a refurbished Mac Pro with dual 2.8 GHz CPUs. Just need to add a newer graphics card to run mini display port for 24" LED.

Or, you could buy a new 09 Quad Core single CPU Mac Pro. Add an extra graphics card and you could support what you need. Would have two Dual Link DVI and two Mini Display port. Would allow two 30" and two 24" LEDs.

Good luck whatever you buy.

6. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Does Apple have any decent financing ? I don't want to wait, haha. :)

7. rreta04 macrumors newbie

Yes they do

8. soldierblue macrumors 6502

You're better off using whatever credit card you already have than that.