Used Note II purchase price or should I wait for the Note III

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by maflynn, Sep 2, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I noticed a couple of Note IIs for sale for about 350 on craigslist. Is this a good price? Anything to watch out for (other then the typical CL stuff, i.e., meet in a public place, test it out, etc)?

Should I wait for the Note III, I'm not sure what else they could be throwing in there.

I was playing around with the Note II at my local Costco and liked the feel. This isn't the first time I was tempted by the note and it won't be my first android device.

I can either buy a used Note II now for 350, or a brand new Note III when it comes out, though I'll be paying full price since I'm mid contract. Gazelle will offer me 330 for my iPhone 5 at the moment so that brings the price down to be more manageable for a new Note II.

Thoughts and opinions on the Note II vs. Note III and purchase price of the used Note II

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I'd wait for the Note 3 to come out so you can do a side by side comparison. It'll be in stores in just a few weeks I guess and used Note 2s will only be getting cheaper then. I can't tell you exactly how good a price $350 is, as I live in Sweden, but from what I read that's about standard at the moment.

I'm not sure exactly what the Note 3 will offer over what the Note 2 already has, but I have a feeling that extra screen area + resolution will take the concept from great to superb. Sammy might have something up their sleeve for the S-pen too (hopefully, as S-Note is still so utterly crap aside from the quick note function).

Meanwhile if you're feeling uncertain about getting a Note-size device, getting an even cheaper Note 2 in a few weeks might be the perfect way to test it out for yourself.

For testing a used Note 2, I'd look at how wiggly the home button feels, as mine has been getting a bit limp lately. Also do a phone call and see how you like the speaker sound quality, if that is important to you. I've tested a few Notes that actually had horrible speaker sound and earphones were an absolute must (high pitched, sharp insta-headache noise).

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

4. asthamapheo macrumors 6502

if you want the latest specs go for the note 3, but if you wanna save a whole lot of money and get only a year old model (remember, note 2 will get most of the note 3's features in a software update) go for the note 2.

if i was in your place, i'd go foe the GN 2.:)

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, I think I'll wait and then see if what type of deal or savings I can swing. Since I'll be buying it full price, I want to be sensitive to how best I can save some money.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

does GB matter to you at all? as the Note 3 will come in 32 and 64GB..note 2 in most areas is 16GB only.

7. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'd wait. The Note 3 is being announced in 2 days, and will most likely be available for purchase within a month.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, wait for the Note 3.

9. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Wait for the announcement of both the Note 3 and/or the iPhone 5S. Both of those devices will drive the prices of the Note 2/S4/One down. The Note 2 is fantastic and it will last you until next years flagships surface. People are still happily using their S3, S2 and Note 1 now, with less than half the power of the Note 2.

10. ryank82 macrumors newbie

I just bought a Note 2 unlocked outright to use on my Net10 sim service ($50 Unlimited plan). Sure the Note 3 will get announced shortly but how long until you can actually get one? The Note 2 is a great phone and I'm looking forward to mine arriving tomorrow. I'd say unless you wanna wait several weeks to a month to get one I'd look for a sweet deal on a 2.