used or new for server?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by macmesser, Jul 8, 2015.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I am considering the purchase of a new or used mac mini to use as a server for Extensis Portfolio image cataloging/database and light office use. Have never used one and don't know much about them, especially old models. Can any take more ram? Will graphics be as good or better than an early 09 dual core macbook? Will there be problems leaving the machine on 24/7? The mini will be on a LAN and working with a Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.7.5 (soon 10.8). It will also be accessed over fios/cable via a gotomypc connection. Will one of the mac minis work for me or should I be looking at another used Mac Pro or iMac? Thanks for any answers.

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The 2010 - 12 models have simple to access RAM, upgradable to 16GB (2 DIMM slots). They also have reasonably easy to reach drive bays (the "bottom" bay is very easy, the upper bay requires a little more breakdown). 11/12 lost the optical, and switched over to i series CPUs, the '11 had an option for a slightly quicker discrete GPU, the '12 use the HD4000 integrated video which is still pretty quick (and all the video/GPU consideration is more for gaming/3D work). The '12 also added USB 3.0 ports, faster CPU options.

Lots of folks I know run them 24/7 as media/file servers, they run pretty cool.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. I'll look for the fastest '12 I can find.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Actually, I think that's the appropriate answer to pretty much any question about the Mac Mini today. ;)

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a