Used PMG5 or intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewsof07, Dec 19, 2008.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I'm looking to finally buy a Mac desktop. I can't really afford the sticker for newer models but I've been looking on eBay and it seems I can get a Dual 1.8 PMG5 w/superdrive, ~2gig RAM, ~250HD for around $500 pending specs. At the same time, used intel iMacs run around $650-700 for a low-end 17" with ~160HD and ~1gig RAM.

I don't game or need Boot Camp for anything, the main apps I'll be using are CS2 or 3, Toast, Office 08, and maybe iMovie once in awhile.
    (Process photos 1-2 at a time as I adjust pics individually
    I have plenty of desk space and a 19" samsung monitor I currently use to do my photo work and writing on.

Other than PPC support being dropped in Snow Leopard, can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't go with the PowerMac?
    I'm good with computers, so I can do upgrades myself, troubleshoot, simple hardware replacement/repair, also I can change the size of my display later on should I decide to upgrade to a 24"

Thanks, Merry Christmas :)

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Go with the iMac. The PMG5's have always been a risky investment. You hear horror stories on some, and some end up being great computers. If you go with the intel mac, you can easily upgrade the ram and your computer will be good for at least another 2 to 3 years. As long as the iMac is C2D I would have no hesitation. The G5, although a good deal at $500, is obsolete now. Plus for what you're planning on doing the intel mac will be just fine. I can get you a good intel imac for less than $650, let me know if you'd like me to help you out.

bob

3. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

I had a PM G5 dual 1.8. An intel iMac will be faster but you may need to up the RAM. I wouldn't hesitate to go iMac, the G5 is a dead end.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The g5 may be a dead end, but doesn't a lot depend on what version of cs he's using? If his photoshop is not optimized for intel, and takes the performance hit on rosetta, it may be more efficient to go with the g5 for now. The cost of the software could almost dwarf the outlay on the machine.

Unless you're suggesting that he pirate the software, of course.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If it's going to be between the Dual 1.8 and any Intel iMac go for the iMac.

The G5 will be fully customizable sure, but the iMac will be faster in everything, even RAM, and you can get 4GB of that.

If it were between the late October 2005 PMG5 models then it be a little harder of a choice.

6. svndmvn Guest

The bad thing about the iMac would be the non upgradable Graphics, but processors are more important, you can also use your external display, I think.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you need OS 9 or the non-universal apps, go with the PPC.

If you can get by universal apps, go Intel.

8. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

in the long run though surely it has to be better to go for the intel architecture. If the OP has limited finances then a better long term investment would be the intel. Also it seems somewhat short sighted to buy a system based solely on the performance of 1/2 pieces of software

Also, the OP has stated about snow leopard but this, unreleased specs, should really be a turning point in the intel story and something I think we will all want to be part of

D:apple:

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Any PowerMac right now is considered a dead end. Adobe and Apple are both dropping support for it and most new applications will follow the trend. If you are concerned about long term investments, then go for any Intel Mac.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Intel. Everyone else stole the reasons for why. So just read the posts above. Merry Christmas! (or whatever holiday you celebrate!)

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Wait one month after Snow Leopard is released, PPC hardware will go cheap and you'll end up with an awesome deal if you don't need the power of an intel machine.