Used PowerBook, MacBook, or wait..?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AaronE, Oct 11, 2008.

1. AaronE macrumors 6502

I will have a bout $650 to $700 to spend soon?

The PowerBooks look nice, but with all the talk about Snow Leopard I'm considering a used MacBook now. Should I try to find a good deal on a used MacBook?

And how far out of my range will the new MacBooks be? Im just looking for something to play movies, music, and use for school.

2. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so I have just a little over $600 to spend.. What do you guys think that I should do?

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Wait till Tuesday and see what the new MacBooks are like.

Used MacBooks are going to drop in price if the rumors are correct...

Next week should get you a nice Core 2 Duo MacBook for less than $600.

If the rumored price drop in the MacBook turns out to be true then a refurbished current MacBook could be within your reach too....

4. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

I think your only option is to buy used. New Macbooks start at around 1,000.00. Unless you want to use your 600.00 as a down payment and pay off the remainder in "90 days same as cash", or whatever the offer is, then buy a new Macbook on Tuesday.

5. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

a new macbook will come out on the 14th of october WAIT.
    there is talk about them having aluminum cases like the MBP as well as them being a lot faster and ALOT cheaper.

6. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I'm looking to get a current gen Macbook (Black or white) where would my best place be to get one?

7. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Apple.com on the 14th. The refurbished prices will likely be slashed or check Craigslist out. I've noticed a flurry of new posts in the past48 hours from people trying to sell their MB and MBP.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

safest place to get one with warranty is probably the apple refurb online store.

9. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well, I opted for a pretty good deal on a 12" PowerBook G4. It should suit my needs pretty well, and it looks like it should have a good resell value...

10. redmeister macrumors 6502

ah, was gonna recommend the refurb on apple store, but you're already made a purchase. congrats!

11. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I was thinking about that, but I didn't feel like investing a lot of money into a computer I plan on taking back and forth to school.

I good a pretty good deal on this PowerBook, but how well do they retain their value? I believe it is a 1.33 GHz model, 1.25GB of Ram, and an 80GB HD...