used powermac g4 500mhz how much is too much to pay?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenmasters, Dec 5, 2007.

1. kenmasters macrumors newbie

the specs on the powermac g4 are.

500mhz
    256mb ram
    40gig hdd
    ati rage pro 128
    dvd-rom
    keyboard+mouse

how much is to much to pay for this powermac i would prefer info from a user with an older system not a monster powerhouse G5 or dual cpu system.

i will be doing the following upgrades to the system.

max out the ram to 2gigs
    upgrade the G4 cpu to 1.4ghz
    slap in a dvd-burner i have plenty of these.

the guy on craigslist said it runs good.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i'd upgrade your video card as well. i just upgraded my 500 dual processor to 2 gigs and it's pretty quick. i also can't wait to get a better video card. i just have a 64mb 9000 pro radeon in there and it's alright. i wouldn't expect to pay more than $150 for that system in that configuration. maybe closer to $100 but i'm not 100% sure of what the g4's go for at the moment. try checking around ebay for similiar configured systems.

3. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

check out some more G4 on ebay for comparison

You should get this G4 for a really good price, maybe around 150 bucks.
    However I personally would make a comparison of your final upgraded G4 and G4 MDD that comes already with everything you want. The last MDD was the 1,4G Dual (the one I have) and I tell you, thats one hell of a machine. What you also could do is to put a SATA card in and use the fast HD's of today. I have the Raptor 10K drive and it just rocks. I have a hard time to justify a new computer for a long time.
    Graphic card would be nice especially for Tiger and Leopard. I personally love my G4, however since Apple upgraded the slow graphic chip in the mac mini a month ago, I really think the mini finally becomes a worth competition to used dual G4's.
    Still I love the old tower design so much that fits to my old apple screen

4. California macrumors 68040

California

If you get it, I want the 500mhz cpu when you upgrade! Let me know!

5. kenmasters thread starter macrumors newbie

good news i got a a very good deal on it..

i offered him $50 cash and he said cool i was like heckyeah!!

in 1 month i will be upgrading the cpu to a 1.4ghz owc extreme!

i am hyped about the great deal i got.

6. kenmasters thread starter macrumors newbie

i will let you know something in a month..

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

wow congratulations on a great deal!

and california, i have a 450mhz cpu if you want it? it's in my other sawtooth

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Naw, need the 500mhz. But thanks. M Christmas, too.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

10. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

How exactly do you overclock things? I always pictured getting a really tiny screwdriver and turning a small valve on the side of a chip somewhere. :D

11. California macrumors 68040

California

Can you overclock it to 600mhz? I heard someone did this once.

12. jaimem macrumors newbie

I have seen one also overclocked to 600mhz. Check out some tutorials on overclocking for Macs, usually they have a table that give what each processor can be overclocked to!

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

yeah there are 4 tiny jumpers and depending on which one you jumper will determine the frequency of the cpu. you can theroectly OC it to 800mhz but i don't think that's reliable and will most likely not start up at all. i'm gonna start my 450 at 500 and work in 50mhz increments. just remember that when OC'ing you will have to bump up the cooling :D

14. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

600mhz is not really attainable with a 7400 G4.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I think Moto hit a brick wall with the 7400s trying to go past 500, not to mention getting half the 500s to work correctly.

16. California macrumors 68040

California

17. Graphis macrumors member

Be careful when you upgrade. Lots of cool extras can be added into the G4, but it can overheat terribly as a result. You might need to think about some internal ventilation as well.

18. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Congrats, that's a great old machine for $50. I'd also suggest you upgrade the video card. A PC Radeon 9600XT might be a good bet... I imagine you can flash it with the Mac AGP drivers, then clock it back up with ATIccelerator II. Check that out first though, I may be wrong (about the flashing). Otherwise, Mac OS X's GUI will be somewhat choppy. My beige with a 500 MHz G4 ran kinda choppily when hiding windows with the yellow middle button (used to be called "collapsing in OS 9, no ****in clue what they call it now). I enabled Quartz Extreme via the PCI-Extreme hack and it runs smoothy up till around 1600x1200 where it starts to get choppy with windows filling the screen... I keep it at 1400x1050 anyway. Yours should be fine at much higher res, since you've got AGP.

You won't be able to use Quartz Extreme unless you get a Radeon or GeForce card, because pre-radeon (Rage chips) didn't support arbitrary texture sizes, meaning you wouldn't be able to resize windows.... so.. Apple didn't enable it for them. Makes sense.

Other tips.. get a new HDD... don't bother with SATA, your onboard ATA is fine (unless the size you want is more expensive as "PATA" than is an SATA card + drive).

It's been done. It was overvolted, but it's been done.

Not exactly. There was a bug in the MPX bus that prevented higher speeds, not anything to do with thermal issues, if I'm remembering right. Hence the reason Apollo used a new architecture... the 7450 was a totally different chip from the 7410 (the 7410 being a 7400 with a die shrink and almost nothing else).

7410 runs a bit cooler, though they never used it for anything above 533 MHz in the Mac.

If you want higher clocks, you need a deeper pipe... the 7450.