Used PPC Book or iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrf097, Jan 19, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I was originally planning to get a cheaper used "Book" to use in school (I'm a 9th grader, I also use my iPod touch to take notes via Pages or for flashcards as well) (not risking my new 13" Pro's life!), but after seeing how Apple's media event is supposed to boost the iPad for education, I'm thinking that might be a better investment in the long run. My iPad would serve it's main purpose for school use (Not really interested in too many HD games, though I would get GTA III [and probably only that]) and probably just a few random iPad apps. The same goes for getting another laptop; main priority would be for school. I can get a good PPC computer off craigslist in my area for an average price of around 60$ (taking the 2 highest I saw and two lowest I saw), or I could hopefully find a cheap iPad/get one for Christmas this year (I can't ask for one on my birthday since my MBP is both my Christmas AND birthday present), so which would you go for when concerning school use? A laptop or an iPad?

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Save your money, use a spiral notebook and a pen. It's all you need to get good grades. Just focus on school.

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I work better and much more efficient digitally storing my information. I only use Paper and Pen when doing Math.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

Well if you are seriously considering an old powerbook or an iPad then get the iPad, it will have the new iBooks and its still supported. Also, please don't disclose this information online but if you have an IEP then you may be entitled to some assistive technology that is provided by your school district.

I understand the idea of being more organized with digital formats, I feel the same way. I just think that in high school it really is easiest to just use paper and pencil. Does anyone else at your school bring a laptop or iPad to class for note taking? Good luck with the decision either way.

5. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Lots of people do actually. Our school system encourages it (to a degree) Several of my friends have iPads that they use. I have some other friends who bring their laptops on occasion but (like me) don't often due to the risk of it being stolen. I can also take notes just as efficiently writing (there are some times when my English teacher prefers I use pen & paper instead of my touch to practice my writing, and I do have very articulate and clean handwriting), I just prefer to integrate as much technology as I'm allowed, because I'm a very technological person.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I tweet, tumbl and Facebook - I'm a technological person.

Just kidding, kiddo. If you had to have a stinking electronic device instead of pen/legal pad or notebook, I'd suggest getting the iPad. You might as well wait a month or two and see if the iPad 3 rumors are true. They keep coming, so it would be wise to see what happens. Looking at iBooks 2 stutter on the iPad 2 in the Macrumors article would probably suggest waiting too (if you'll ever use an interactive textbook in your HS days, doubt it).

7. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

Man.. When I was in 9th grade, I had a to save up for a couple months just to get a Super NES game! I would have never even dreamed of something like an iPad for $500..

Makes me wonder what my kids will be asking for when they reach their teens..

8. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I don't HAVE to have it. It's not a requirement. I'm simply asking if it would be a good idea to get one for educational purposes, or to get a second laptop for educational purposes. Plus, I don't consider myself technological just because I use social networks. I consider myself technological because I love technology. I've built a computer, I've made apps for Android & WP7, I have a large knowledge base of computers and mobile devices. That's why I consider myself technological.

9. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

I would def get an iPad. A used PPC will have worse power, worse battery, and just wont cut imo.

An iPad is the way forward.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

THIS is the only reason that matters. I'm surprised its taken everybody so long... :p

11. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna join the boat of those saying "neither" as well.

I used an iPad for note-taking but just stopped because i felt that i could type faster on a computer and write faster (and more accurately) with pen/paper. You could buy a bluetooth keyboard but that's just one more thing to carry and more costs for you.

Additionally, while the Apple event was cool, I'd give it a 95% chance that your school system will not be buying those textbooks in the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if they still didn't carry of them by the time you graduate. There's just a lot of red tape, budget issues, and the like... If there did happen to be a iPad version of a textbook you use in class, it still wouldn't do you any good because the edition's text may be different and because the page numbers wouldn't add up.

As for an older computer, I suppose it's doable but it brings it own logistic issues like where to find a power outlet and such.

And to be honest, just carrying around all that technology may serve as a distraction to you (worrying about breaking/losing/stealing, playing games, going on the internet) as well as others in your classroom.

I know you're a very technological person... but that doesn't mean its something you need to use. In high school, I knew plenty of people who also built their own computers, programmed things (we didn't have smartphones back then), etc... but they didn't feel as if they needed to bring their computers for note-taking and what not. They may have felt they could have things more efficiently with a computer but still got by fine without it and ended up getting into good colleges.

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I will add my voice to the neither pile, and thats from experience. I've had a TabletPC or Laptop of some form with me in school constantly since UK Year 7 (Grade 6 US), way back in 2003, and if anything restrospectively, I wish I hadn't had it for most of it.

Sure a laptop can be a useful tool, but the computer if anything will act as a distraction in grade school. Especially when it doesn't work correctly, or as you get higher-up (Grades 11/12) things move fast enough its very hard to keep up, especially as your scrambling to add diagrams etc to notes. I even had another crack at going all Digital (TabletPC + iPad + MacBook Air) last year, in college (and Im doing Computer Science - my courses all revolve around computers), and even then (and now) I use a mixture, and can't go completely digital. Generally Laptop + Pad. - Even a TabletPC with OneNote is no match for a combination Laptop and Pad, especially given that the TabletPC occasionally loses data in translation from scrawl to legible handwriting. - Currently I just use the laptop for typed things, the Pad for copying diagrams and scribbling things down at the end of a class. its also good to have the backup plan for when the technology inevitably takes a nosedive.

13. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

How about use for an English/History class then? I would write down notes (and if needed I could copy diagrams and then scan them into my notes), and type up papers? We do A LOT of notes (I'm in a class called "Combined Studies" which combines English & History so A LOT of notes is given, and about 1/4 of the class uses laptops/iPads/related).

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

Now I think you're just stretching for validation of your position.

If the class is notes intensive, that's even more reason to kill off using an iPad for class and others have already pointed out the limitations of the PPC.

It's been mentioned plenty of times that you remember more when you physically write things down. Why resist? Honestly, the best thing for you would be the hand write your notes and then type them up at night so you go over the material a second time while also putting them in a format you prefer and that will be easier to go back to later to review.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would say don't get either, especially in High School you don't need more than a pen and paper for notes. If you really want them on a computer scan or type up your paper notes in the evening. A computer is just going to end up distracting you so you don't pay as much attention in class and don't remember as much.

16. enectrixx macrumors newbie

I can't understand why people here are so conservative and almost technology-hating! I've been using my iPad in school since the beginning of January and I have never learned/remembered as much, stayed as organized and been as motivated as this last month. I haven't written a single word on paper (except for one test) and I don't intend to go back.

Currently I'm the only one in my class using an iPad (or really any kind of device/computer except for smartphones) but a few are thinking about buying one. It hasn't distracted me at all, actually I'm a lot less distracted since it's a lot easier and more fun to take notes, look things up, etc. Besides, the iPad is always on the desk so the teacher can easily see what I'm doing. As for what others in my class use to study or if they're distracted by my iPad, it's their problem and not mine. No one seems to be jealous or anything either and I've been very careful not to rub in it anyone's face and to not use it during breaks so it hasn't impacted me socially either. Another reason is that I'm one of the driving forces (is that even the correct expression? I'm not a native English speaker if you wonder) behind the school now considering giving all students iPads.

As for the actual note taking, I use a combination of PlainText and Pages for writing with the keyboard (though I'm going to try Evernote) and Penultimate for handwriting with a stylus (I can recommend the Tarus stylus) in subjects such as math or chemistry. I can write a lot faster on the iPad keyboard than by hand, the notes are actually readable and I always have my notes in my iPad synced with Dropbox (as opposed to "*****! Where did I put my History notes for the test tomorrow?").

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pen and paper still work fine for notetaking.

18. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Don't listen to the old guys here :p of what you said iPad would work best. You would probably want to get a BT keyboard.

Notepad HD is a great app for handwritten notes, but you will find that typing will be faster with an external keyboard.

All that said, if you are not in a private school setting, none of this may be permitted, have you checked with school policy/teachers to see what will/won't be allowed?

19. jljue, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

jljue macrumors regular

Depending on what software that you use to take notes with, the iPad will be better, since the touch interface will allow you to "draw" stuff faster than you could possibly type, such as equations, maps, etc. I remember being one of the first classes in college that required a laptop for class, and I mainly lugged around a laptop for e-mail, web browsing, simulations (engineering classes), and playing. I did not find the laptop useful for class because of the stuff that I couldn't easily draw the stuff that I listed above.

However, if you find yourself falling behind because you can't take notes fast enough with an iPad or other laptop, you might need to go back to good old pen/pencil & paper and a good portable audio recorder. At least these days, iPhones, iPods, and many MP3 players have options for recording and saving the audio file for archival.

20. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Old? Excuse me but last time I checked Im 19, and I think its a silly idea. That is not old by any means, and I can clearly remember grade school. In fact having had a computer or iPad with me throughout grades 6 - 12 I know full well how distracting they are, and how much effort it takes to mitigate that. Sure they can make your life easier some of the time, but Technology only makes true sense in the classroom if the entire class does it and the teacher is teaching around the technology. Otherwise it is easily more a hindrance than a help, especially something like the iPad (Trust me, once you have say 500+ Items in an App like Evernote, the iPad begins to get very annoying - this is why I've gone "back" to my MacBook Airs from my iPad)

The iPad just would not work best. If anything using the iPad is a guarantee you won't remember anything from class, because yeah, like you won't be distracted by games or iMessage or some other App regularly. This is even a problem on a MacBook, but more manageable (Easier to setup an account for school and account for when your not at school - and keep everything distracting out of the school account). Even if it doesn't distract you it will easily make some classes much harder. Especially Grade 10+ Math and Chemistry (Formulae can easily stretch to the point where the iPads screen is just too small to handwrite it and review it easily, and some diagrams may be very hard to draw on the iPads small screen. Heck I've had trouble fitting stuff onto the various 12" Tablets I've had over the years and their a lot larger than an iPad)

Also, an iPad + BT Keyboard takes you to a cost level when it makes more sense to pickup a used White MacBook if you must have a computer with you. (And a White MacBook + a Notepad for Diagrams is probably the best tech-included solution as it means you can at least keep all the distractions out of your way and ensure that you can copy diagrams as fast as the teacher moves - The Mac is also a lot more up to date than a PowerPC Book meaning you can use all the newer software).

21. enectrixx macrumors newbie

Trust me, you won't be. Since you usually have the iPad on your desk and the teacher can see it, it's not like you're going to play Angry Birds. I've actually become a lot less distracted with the iPad. Before I had it, I often didn't take notes at all (yes, I hate writing by hand that much!) and instead played games or surfed the web on my iPhone under the desk during the boring classes.

22. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

And I can say trust me, thats not always a deterrent. Every single iPad I see in class spends at least 10%+ of the time not being used for class work and generally its more like 30 - 40%.

23. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Agree with this. Its just the way of justifying a device which has no need at all:rolleyes:

24. enectrixx macrumors newbie

Maybe, but 10% is still less than the time I spend talking during class or surfng on my iPhone. And no, I'm not one of the bad students, I'm one of the smart ones - that's why I have time to do so many other things in class.

An iPad is not going to help you learn more but it can help you to stay more organized and take notes faster so that you remember more. Obviously an iPad has its drawbacks too but for me an iPad works a lot better than pen and paper.

25. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

If you're still looking around, I'd suggest going with the PPC. I'm a semi-recent high school graduate, in college now, and carried an old iBook clamshell with me from class to class (replaced recently by an older C2D macbook)... in addition to a few composition books and pens. Unlike the other members here talking about how detrimental technology in a classroom can be, in the end you're in control of how much a detriment it may be. For example, you can choose not to surf the internet during lectures, or not to play games while you can be researching. In the end, the benefits you can gain from using a laptop/tablet is in your hands, not at the device's mercy. Heck, I'm surprised most of the above posters had legitimate internet access with their devices. All we got, when we used our personal devices, was a shoddy access to the school's LAN, and that's if you knew how to get into it.

I wouldn't recommend using a laptop to completely replace pen and paper, though. I frequently switched between the two, using pen and paper for calc I and II, using the laptop for history and language courses. Having my notes already typed up made it easy for me to create digital flashcards to study by and saved me time.

Of course, I bear in mind that my good grades came from my own work ethic, not the computer.