Used Purchasing Price Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pgwalsh, Mar 12, 2010.

1. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Hi!

I am thinking of buying a used 17" 2008 MacBook Pro. The seller keeps asking me to give them a price, but I don't know what to tell them because the computer is not in good shape. It has a shattered screen and a massive dent to the right of the keyboard that's about 1.5 inches wide and nearly down to the motherboard. The person selling it bought a new one already and though this broken one does work, it needs some work to be pretty again.

What is it worth?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask him to give some kinda starting price for it. If he won't, offer him like 500$ and see how he reacts and what's his offer. I wouldn't pay much over 1000$ because it's defective

3. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

$500... Hmm not sure I definitely wouldn't pay more because of the massive dent. Not even sure what I'd do with the dent.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ah, okay. 500$ was just a random number but you can offer like 300$ first and see his reaction.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Work backwards from the going rate on ebay, subtract the cost of the new screen and lower assembly pieces to correct the uglies, and the cost of your time to replace them. That gives you the most you should pay. Take some off of that and make your offer.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

agreed...start with $300...but don't go over $800...

7. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Okay... now for the truth... It's my sisters computer. She was originally going to give it to me to give to my girlfriend, but she decided to try an sell it to me. She's probably never going to do anything with it and she certainly doesn't need the money. She quasi retired from google, but does some side work. Should I lowball my sister or should I press her to give it to me since I'm the poor one.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LOL, you should've told that before! :p

Search for replacement parts and what they cost and then decide if it's worth it. If you don't really need it, you could just fix it and then sell it and give some share for your sister so you both will be happy.

9. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

:D

Well my girlfriend needs it. Can't afford a new one.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Here is screen I found for it. Couldn't find a new case for it but new screen would make it usable and that's not bad price for it.

11. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

That is a good price a really good price. Thanks! I had a hard time finding one that's reasonable.