Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodgertakeuchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I had a question as to which mac I should get. I've been scoping out for a new computer, my current powerbook 12in 1.5gig just isn't cutting it for rasterizing or even just basic multi tasking.

I'm a graphic designer and use mostly Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, some dreamweaver and some flash. I use a 1.8 dual g5 at work which smokes my home computer, my work computer was bought used and now I've been thinking of going down the same path.

However I have come to a dilemma -- while I know everyone says that I should get the most expensive I just can't afford to have the best of the best, ie MacPro -- buy a brand new Mac and have to purchase new creative software (more money) or buy a used Powermac Quad g5. Both of which cost about the same amount of money which is around $1500. I don't like the idea of paying so much for a used Mac that either may be doa or just the idea of what may be under the hood. I've also heard of leaking liquid coolant and other scary stuff.

However for a new Imac there are issues there too. As it would mean a new OS and new software. The new creative software is the kicker. My girlfriend just got into school so I can buy a discounted package with her, but money is strapped. Does a Imac really have the processing power of a Quad g5? I long for a MacPro as I hate the idea of having to scrap a nice monitor when an all-in-one's time is up. What do you guys think? I have been going more towards a Imac, just hoping its not a waste.

-Thanks in advanced

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
If you don't have to buy immediately and can wait a little bit to get an extra $500, Apple sells refurb Mac Pro for $1999 and occasionally a slightly older model pops up for $1799.

I wouldn't buy the G5 because you can't get a warranty for it and software these days are being optimized with Intel Processors in mind.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I'm going to vote for saving for a Mac Pro refurb if at all possible as well. I just purchased a Mac Pro for some video work I need to plow through and it was well worth the money. Plus, I know my chances of having a nice, reliable, and expandable machine for years to come are far greater with a desktop tower.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Definitely get a Mac Pro. Search for older models, even quad 2.0 GHz smokes the quad 2.5 G5 and will last you a lot longer.

Getting a PPC at this point is basically throwing your money away.

rodgertakeuchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
thanks for the feedback

I think I am pretty set on getting a new machine rather than used.

The question now is... would it be even worth it to get a Imac? Again my girlfriend has just started grad school and she has the ability to get a new mac, along with the whole ipod school deal. I dont really need an ipod... never even had one. But the idea of hte 16 gig ipod touch has really gotten me interested.

So I had thought, with along the power g5 mac route, I could get a Imac 20inch 2.66 model which again fits in the $1500 amount, save a $100 bucks with her discount and save $199 on and ipod touch, so like a $300 for hardware. Basic CS3 with a student discount costs like $600 which is gonna killl me, but I need those progs.

Anyways, I could do that or go the MacPro route. Havent seen the older models anywhere. I do like not having to be stuck with a paricular monitor and I do love towers, just seems more powerful for some reason.

The Imac deal has almost got me, but I guess I got till Sept to decide. But just to keep in mind I really dont make much money and cash is tight... so the best of the best is not an option... I have to eat you know.

Thanks in advanced and thanks for the replies so far.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you have cs2 that will run fine on an intel mac. Lots of RAM will help, and it won't be as much fun as cs3, but my gf uses cs2 on a first gen intel iMac and it does just fine.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
LOL. I pity the foo' who spends a grand on a pre-Intel processor in 2008.

I would still get a PowerPC Mac in this day and age. I still have some heart towards the PowerPC Macs and do feel that they are very special. :)

The late PowerPC Macs are still good computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.