Used RAM memory worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Spielmeister, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Spielmeister macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to buy USED RAM Memory modules in order to save some money. Will it affect the performance to my Macbook when upgraded?

Hope you guys help.

Later.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will affect the performance of the MacBook, but not due to it having been used.
    If the RAM is undamaged and the correct RAM for your MacBook, it will not matter if it is used or not.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It should perform as well. The only thing that would make me pause is making sure they aren't defective. With new memory you'll get the assurance that you'll be getting working modules and if not, they'll exchange them, no questions asked. I guess it depends on just how much money you'll be saving.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

More RAM generally does help speed.
    You need to make sure you are getting the correct modules for your particular MacBook (could be one of three different, mutually incompatible types of RAM, depending on the model of MacBook).

Warranty has already been mentioned - if you don't get a money back guarantee (including shipping costs) on the used memory, I'd give it a pass.

The last thing is that you are unlikely to see larger modules available used -- what usually come up used is the 512 MB and 1 GB modules that people have removed when they upgraded. How much RAM does you machine have now? You have only 2 memory sockets to work with, so unless your machine is woefully short of RAM, these won't be an upgrade.

5. Spielmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm planning on acquiring two 1GB PC2-5300S 667MHz for a Macbook 2.1. I have checked and they are compatible with my model.

Thanks for your helpful advice :)

Later.