used rMBP or new...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by childoftheko4n, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

So i found a 15" rMBP on craigslist, looks to be in mint shape. $1700. It is before the silent refresh though, and only 512mb on the graphics. However its the 16GB RAM and 500SSD.

New though, i could get the base 15" rMBP for 2000 on tax free weekend. with $100 itunes giftcard...

so nows its really just a matter of

used: $1700
    2.6 GHZ
    16GB Ram
    512MB dGPU
    500SSD
    fact that its used..

new: $2000, plus $100 itunes giftcard and il wait for tax free weekend
    2.4 GHZ
    8GB Ram
    256 SSD
    brand spanking new out of the box
    18 months financing with no interest..

2. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

There is nothing like the NEW Macbook Pro with Retina display.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Is this used one still within the first year of warranty? Also I thought the mid 2012 15" rMBP's had a 1GB dGPU?

From Apple.com
    [​IMG]

4. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

Hes got Applecare he says, but not sure if that transfers with owners?

Also the about this mac does indeed say mid 2012, and retina, AND 512...i myself was not sure that was even a build?

See, i think im learning towards the base model but new because, its just hard to beat that new feeling. Plus to be honest , a major reason is the financing option.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

You shouldnt make duplicate threads :p it gets confusing

What you should do is ask to meet up to be able to use it and inspect the exterior for scratches and stuff. I bought both my macbooks used, one from ebay and one from craigslist. Both were as stated in the details. I would still recommend the used one, because its cheaper and a bigger bang for the buck.

I guess I wouldnt worry about the graphics. Technically all retinas have the 512 HD 4000 graphics too. But google how to identify if there is a dedicated graphics card in a macbook, so you can double check if you go to look at it.

6. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

lol sorry =(. I posted in here initially but its hard to not want both subs opinions.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

As far as I know, Apple care is tied to the machine and not the owner. If you need to finance it, new is the way to go. Or Best Buy open box, which is pretty much brand new but you'll save a few hundred.

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

a used computer that you won't need to finance is the way to go...

Unless it's for business and you'll be earning more than the finance charge from the extra utility of owning this computer over an older one.

>

9. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

The financing is 18 months no interest if paid off. So that's the benefit. I wouldn't finance if I had to pay interest. I'd have my paid off within 18 without a doubt though

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.