Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
I wanted to replace my original 200GB HDD with a new 500GB HDD and read that SuperDuper would do the trick on copying everything. Well, apparently I didn't copy over my Bootcamp because after the install of my 500GB HDD, I don't have a Windows partition anymore.

So I'm guessing that I need to reinstall Windows XP, which is time consuming but no big deal. I do use Parallels and on my desktop I have two icons "My Boot Camp" and "My Boot Camp (backup)" folder.

Do I just go ahead and reinstall Windows or is there something more complicated?

And since I have my old HDD now in an external enclosure, I'll go in there and pull my old XP data off...hopefully.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think it can make an image of the boot camp then restore it to your new drive. But of course make sure you have everything backup before using it.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Since I still have my old HDD, is WinClone able to copy my windows partition there and put it on my current HDD? That seems like it would be easier than reinstalling everything.

You run winclone on your original hdd to create a backup file there. You then move that backup file to your current hdd and run winclone again, but this time to restore the bootcamp partition from the previous backup file. Oh, and you should run the shrink command on the backup file so that you can restore the backup to a smaller sized partition (ignore this if you are restoring to identical size or larger partition on your new hdd).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.