Used SuperDuper, copied, installed new HDD, where is Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InvalidUserID, Aug 12, 2010.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I wanted to replace my original 200GB HDD with a new 500GB HDD and read that SuperDuper would do the trick on copying everything. Well, apparently I didn't copy over my Bootcamp because after the install of my 500GB HDD, I don't have a Windows partition anymore.

So I'm guessing that I need to reinstall Windows XP, which is time consuming but no big deal. I do use Parallels and on my desktop I have two icons "My Boot Camp" and "My Boot Camp (backup)" folder.

Do I just go ahead and reinstall Windows or is there something more complicated?

And since I have my old HDD now in an external enclosure, I'll go in there and pull my old XP data off...hopefully.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Since I still have my old HDD, is WinClone able to copy my windows partition there and put it on my current HDD? That seems like it would be easier than reinstalling everything.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think it can make an image of the boot camp then restore it to your new drive. But of course make sure you have everything backup before using it.

5. circularforward macrumors 6502

You run winclone on your original hdd to create a backup file there. You then move that backup file to your current hdd and run winclone again, but this time to restore the bootcamp partition from the previous backup file. Oh, and you should run the shrink command on the backup file so that you can restore the backup to a smaller sized partition (ignore this if you are restoring to identical size or larger partition on your new hdd).