Used Thunderbolt Display, best time to buy with recent rumors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tennisproha, Jun 1, 2016.

1. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I want to get a used Thunderbolt Display for my Mac Mini. Used because new ones are way too expensive for my budget right now. With recent rumors of a Thunderbolt Display refresh in the news, when would be the best time for me to get a great deal on a used Thunderbolt Display?

Would a used TD be cheapest before or after announcement or release of the new TD?...

Thanks everyone!

2. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

After the announcement would be best, as that will be when people will be flogging them on ebay cheap.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Exactly. However, don't expect the TD to be cheap because even the old 30" Cinema Displays go for ~$300 on eBay. If you want to save $ there are plenty of 27" 2560x1440 monitors for around $350 brand new.

4. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

True but I'd rather have something with built in camera, mic, and speakers. I've been debating between TD and Dell U27xx. I've read through earlier reviews of both setups on here and the main difference I can gather is TD has a no hassle setup and plays nice with Mac while Dell U27xx have a better display all around. Obviously I'd like the best of both but since that's not possible I figured I'll get more bang with the TD since it'll give me a more complete setup. I wish the TD didn't have glare though and I could hook up my Xbox to it. But on the flip side I'd probably need to download the special profile for the Dell to output correctly and I won't be able to use Handoff with my iPhone. So it seems you can't win either way.

I'm hoping to get the TD in the low $300 range…

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

This really is a case of nobody knows.

However, my guess is that if Apple ever release a new display, it will be to accompany hypothetical new Macs with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports and 4k/5k-capable GPUs, and they probably won't work on existing Macs (any more than the original TB display would work with older MiniDisplayPort Macs). So people won't be upgrading just their displays unless they're also upgrading their Macs. On the other hand, if Apple discontinue the current TB display that might increase the demand for second-hand ones from people with current Macs.

If I had to bet, I'd say that Apple will just discontinue the current TB display - if it was a big moneyspinner they'd have upgraded it to USB 3 and the more recent iMac anti-glare screen years ago.

6. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh that's true. You raise some very valid points. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

So the dwindling stock supply could indicate a discontinuation. But if that was the case, they would've likely de-listed it from their website I'd imagine. However, I would think Apple wouldn't discontinue their only display unless they had a replacement in line since it does have a genuine need in their lineup as a display for the Mac Pro, Mac mini, and MacBook dock station.

Also, the iMac has an anti-glare display?:eek:

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

Apple have been demo-ing the Mac Pro's 4k capabilities with third-party displays for 3 years, and the current Mac Pro really is targeted at graphics/video pros, who are going to want a choice of displays to suit their application. There are Pro displays out there that make the TBD look cheap...

Part of the point of the Mac Mini is that you can "Just connect your own display, keyboard, and mouse" (first paragraph on the Mac Mini web page) so a $1000 display optimised as a laptop dock isn't really relevant.

All Apple need for the Pro and Mini is something from a 3rd party that doesn't say "Dell", "HP" or "Lenovo" in embarrassingly large letters on the front.

The TBD is principally a laptop peripheral for the well-heeled consumer. The current display will likely be discontinued when MacBoo Pro's with TB3/USB-C launch (since they'll need a $100 adapter to use it and might not even have magsafe). They might replace it - but they might also wait: the current retina MacBook doesn't support thunderbolt and Intel's current TB3/USB-C controller can only support 5k on a Thunderbolt display. What might make more sense is a ~21" 4k display (like the 4k iMac) with a displayport-over-USB-C interface (which can also offer docking facilities).

For a given value of "anti-glare" - yes. They switched in 2012 from a separate glass cover (as per the TBD) to a 'bonded' display with an anti-reflection coating. Not matte, but a lot less reflective. The TB Display never got updated to match.

8. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, i see your point. That does make sense but idk if they're likely to do this. The current TD still has quite a demand from what i can tell.

I guess for me wanting to get it for my mini, i might be running a gamble either way. Ive seen used TDs go for more lately since the rumor started, so that sucks a bit. However they do have a very specific market use because of all their limitations so hopefully theyll be cheaper rather tham more expensive soon.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2016 ---
    I havent seen this be advertised on the site so thats news to me. Ill have to check it out in store.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

...the "new" iMac display was introduced about 4 years ago when they moved to the current curved case design: its only "new" compared to the 6-year-old Thunderbolt Display/LED Cinema Display design.