Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Eppolito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
Hey guys used to jailbreak all the time back in the day, its been forever but curious about it again. Is it even worth it. Is it easy? Got an iphone 11 pro max 13.3.1

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Hey guys used to jailbreak all the time back in the day, its been forever but curious about it again. Is it even worth it. Is it easy? Got an iphone 11 pro max 13.3.1

My XS Max is currently jailbroken at 13.5. I didn’t realize how much I missed jailbreaking until I jailbroke my XS Max and I love it! I have so many tweaks and love the customizations. I’m going to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max in the fall and keep my XS Max jailbroken and as a backup phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, it's easy. But depending on how long ago you used to jailbreak, you may not recognize it now.

Up until iOS 9.1 jailbreaks were fully-untethered. Everything after 9.1 is now a semi-untethered jailbreak. What that means is that you sideload the JB app to the device, trust the app, and then use the app to JB the device.

If you reboot, you reboot stock. The same JB app is used to rejailbreak the device each and every time.

A lot of tweaks have been abandoned, others have reincarnated under new devs and some have disappeared altogether. For instance, BiteSMS died and has stayed dead since iOS 8. Anchor replaced Gridlock 2, but currently there is no tweak that will let you place apps anywhere you want. There are tweaks that happen to have that ability as part of their total features, but no specific tweak.

A lot has changed.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yes, it's easy. But depending on how long ago you used to jailbreak, you may not recognize it now.

Up until iOS 9.1 jailbreaks were fully-untethered. Everything after 9.1 is now a semi-untethered jailbreak. What that means is that you sideload the JB app to the device, trust the app, and then use the app to JB the device.

If you reboot, you reboot stock. The same JB app is used to rejailbreak the device each and every time.

A lot of tweaks have been abandoned, others have reincarnated under new devs and some have disappeared altogether. For instance, BiteSMS died and has stayed dead since iOS 8. Anchor replaced Gridlock 2, but currently there is no tweak that will let you place apps anywhere you want. There are tweaks that happen to have that ability as part of their total features, but no specific tweak.

A lot has changed.

I loved BiteSMS and am sad to hear it’s been abandoned. Do you know of a tweak similar to it?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I loved BiteSMS and am sad to hear it’s been abandoned. Do you know of a tweak similar to it?
There's Messages+ which I use, but I'm still on iOS 9.0.2 (with my 6s+). I don't believe anyone is working on messaging apps anymore. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that though.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
There's Messages+ which I use, but I'm still on iOS 9.0.2 (with my 6s+). I don't believe anyone is working on messaging apps anymore. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that though.

I hope someone work on it. The only thing I haven’t customized is the messaging app. 13.5 have some pretty decent tweaks.

Thomas Eppolito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020

A lot has changed.
Thanks for the info! Didnt realize everything is semi untethered, i remember that being annoying before haha. I’m going to try it out

Reactions: eyoungren

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Thanks for the info! Didnt realize everything is semi untethered, i remember that being annoying before haha. I’m going to try it out

I hate it but once my computer is turned on and I’m connected to the same WiFi network as my phone, it automatically refreshes for an additional 7 days which is also annoying. I just can’t lose my jailbreak now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.