Used to sync iPhone with PC.. now have a new Macbook Pro. Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hazedragon45, Oct 31, 2009.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

I'm signed in to my same iTunes account on my Macbook as my PC. But to sync with my Macbook it wants to wipe everything. How can i make my iphone syncable with my Macbook now without erasing everything?

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

you can't mate because your iPhone is partitioned to only work on a PC, so you have no choice but to wipe it to start a petition to work on a Mac, sorry bud but that is just how it is.

Edit in: may I suggest a Windows partition perhaps, you can download Itunes there and use that side without having to erase your iPhone.

3. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

if i wipe it and start all over on my macbook, how do i get everything back in? like the back ups? btw, does it only wipe things from itunes like music movies, apps? or does it wipe contacts, everything else etc.

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

It will wipe everything, however if you have everything thats on your iPhone on Itunes, and have all your contacts on your contacts on your Mac address book it should just wipe and it will just put right back on through whats on your Mac, so make sure you have everything you need on iTunes and all your contacts in address book before you consider partitioning your iPhone to work on a Mac.

5. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

WHOA! Slow down! There is no such thing as a 'Windows Partition' on an iPhone! I do not know where you got that idea but the partition on the iPhone is not change whether you sync it with a Mac or a PC.

If you have a iPhone 3G or lower (on 3.0 or lower) then to retrieve music do this:
    1) Download this (free) app and install it: http://www.iskysoft.com/freesync.html.
    2) Connect your iPhone to the computer and run the app. From the app save your iPhone music to the computer and import the music into iTunes.
    3)If you downloaded the music off the iTunes store and it has DRM then you need to authorise your music. Play one of the copy protected songs and then a box should pop up asking you to enter your User Name and Password. Do this and then you are done! You may have to delete the music off your iPhone to get it to sync with the computer but all of your songs will just sync back!

If you have a iPhone 3GS or other iPhone on 3.0 or higher then to retrieve music do this:
    1) Download the free trial of this app and install it: http://www.iskysoft.com/syncpod.html (if you need the batch syncing function you may have to go onto a certain website PM me if you need help)
    2) Do step 2 and 3 from the above guide.

Hope this helps,
    King Mook Mook

P.S. Congrats on the new MacBook Pro!

6. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Ahh... nevermind what I wrote then I always thought it was always partitioned for one OS or another, but apparently this does this if I try to Sync it to my dad's Mini, apparently its linked to one computer, so don't follow my advice, because I just found I know **** about the iPhone :p sorry for the inconvenience dude and just do what the person above said.