Used white macbook 2.16 core 2 duo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lmvo23, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lmvo23 macrumors newbie

How much would you pay for a used macbook with these specs:

Model Identifier: MacBook2.1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Harddrive: 120gb
    Running Snow Leopard 10.6.2

They said the case wasn't discolored but had a crack in the keyboard "that most macbooks have".

I need a laptop for taking notes in lectures and for taking into the lab, so it doesn't need to be brand new. I'm a grad student, so I'm poor, which is why I'm looking at craigslist. They are asking $520 for it; is that a good deal or should I try to talk them down?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that machine was just on the apple refurb store (USA) for $649 or $679 but I just checked and both are now gone...

They do still have the most current non-unibody whitebook for $749 and IMHOP that is the best deal with the 9400m graphics... it comes with a 1 year applecare warranty also and you'd be eligible to upgrade it to the 3 year applecare if you wanted to spend the extra $$ for it...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC240LL/A?mco=MTA4MzIxNjk

3. Jordan6 macrumors regular

That's a pretty good deal.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Here's a macbook on ebay with the same spec's, selling for $500 with a BIN and free shipping. Use MS bing cashback and get this item for $460.

5. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one really answered my question?

Honestly I don't want to buy a refub because once I start talking about spending $750 I might as well spend $900 on a new one in the education store..then I might as well spend 1100$ on a MacBook pro, etc....not that I have the money.

And that eBay auction no longer has BIN option. Besides, I'm more skeptical of buying one online than buying one that I've actually gotten to play around with.

With that said, I'm getting ready to meet with the dude at Borders. I'm not making my decision now, probably tomorrow, so I would appreciate it if someone could address my question specifically.

Thanks.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

UP FOR BID IS A MACBOOK IN GOOD CONDITION .DUAL CORE 2.16GHZ 120GB HD, COMES WITH ILIFE 2009,SNOW LEOPARD, OFFICE 2008 AND ADOBE CS4 INSTALLED NO RESERVE!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK. THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!

On Jan-15-10 at 06:52:20 PST, seller added the following information:
    NO CDS OR MANUALS INCLUDED JUST THE LAPTOP AND CHARGER.

...that ebay machine seems like a "hot" deal = I'd stay away from any purchase that doesn't even include the original restore disks/manuals much less several hundred dollars worth of extra software...

And my point about getting the refurb machine, you'd be getting more RAM, a larger HDD, faster system bus speed, much better graphics then the intel GMA BS an apple warranty for at least a year (that could also be upgraded to applecare for a max 3 years) vs. a machine you know nothing about its history and all the opposites of a used machine...go ahead and save $200 = its not worth the savings if it breaks tomorrow with no warranty...

7. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I played around on the computer for about 10 minutes and it really is in excellent condition. I think I may buy it because it is a really good deal and the price is right. I have 2 days to make a decision. Any other thoughts are welcome...

Like I said, if I'm going to shell out $250 extra dollars (which is quite a bit of grocery money) I might as well just buy it brand new for $900...So that runs me up $450...almost 50%...my question never was "should i buy a refurb or should i buy a used" btw. I just wanted to know if this was a good deal.

8. eman macrumors 6502a

Looks like money is a consideration, $520 is not a bad deal IMHO. Would they come down at all on this macbook? You can go to ebay and look at the completed listings and get an idea of what macbooks have sold for.

Also, check to see how many charge cycles the battery has. New batteries can be pricey ($130 new).

Extra free software to use on a macbook is a benefit, I just wouldn't pay extra for a macbook with loaded software and no install disks.
    Also, if it doesn't have any restore disks, just buy Snow Leopard, it's selling for $25 new and even cheaper on Craigslist.

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I sold one of these last summer for £549 ($890) on eBay with very similar specs (except mine had 3GB RAM but 250GB HDD). It did still have apple care though for another year and was in perfect condition. Still, $520 sounds like a very good deal.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

for what you need its a good deal. the crack on the keyboard is a bit concerning but not unusual (many macbooks experience this) I would look at that ebay deal it might end up being better... no matter what, if you go craigslist meet in a public place

11. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I've heard that apple has been replacing the casing around the keyboard out of applecare, so I'm not too concerned about the crack (they did for my bf too).

He wouldn't come down on price because apparently he just lowered it from $600. From what I've seen on ebay and surfing the internet, $520 is the best deal around. The guy I'm buying it from is a student also and he needs the money because he wants to upgrade to a newer computer for video editing...so we are kind of in the same boat...except I'm not letting my other mac go, haha.

He said he just replaced the battery about 6 months ago and it still gets 4 1/2 hours. I forgot to check the charge cycles when I was playing with it but I can always do that tomorrow when I pick it up (how many should I expect to see? about 100?).

There is no extra free software (except snow leopard and of course the original restore disks)...but I have an imac loaded with software so I'm ok on that front.

12. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just picked it up and it is working beautifully! I feel like I stole it from the guy.

He did over-report the battery life, though...at 97% it said it had 2 hours left. And 200 charge cycles...eh, if I had known that I would have definitely tried to talk him down a little, but whatever.

So far, so good. I'm currently reinstalling snow leopard on it just to make sure it is clean (he said he deleted all of his stuff).

13. eman macrumors 6502a

Calibrate the battery and see if you can get a little more life out of the battery and instructions for this can be found at the Apple website.
    If bluetooth is not needed, turn it off and turn the brightness of the screen down a little (if possible) and you should be able to get more than two hours out of the battery. 200 charge cycles is not horrible for a macbook battery.

14. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

JUST kidding...it must have been a fluke...I've gotten at least 2 hours on this charge and I still have 53% left. I was curious so I downloaded coconut battery which states that my battery is at 92%...so I will not complain!! Thanks.

15. Roverpilot macrumors newbie

How much?

Well I got my MacBook 2.1 2.16GHZ 120Gb hd for $230 in a pawn shop
    Know what you want and what you are getting .
    If you have a pawnshop near you , check it out and give them your mane and number allong with what you are looking for .

$520 is not to high , but offer them $450

That help ?

16. lmvo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha, well it would have helped 24 hours ago seeing as though I bought it yesterday. Thanks anyway...didn't even think of looking in a pawn shop.