Apps Useful Apple Watch apps you may or may not be aware of.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This thread is for helping each other stay informed about practical watch apps, whether the app is for daily use or once in a while. It can be time consuming traversing the internet all the time looking for good watch apps.

In my opinion, this forum is a great place to garner valuable information about our watches and their daily use. Hopefully, we will be able to help one another save some research time and possible money, by sharing what has been working and what hasn't.

I will be updating the Wiki thread with different categories and better organization as time permits. If you would like to help in this endeavor, I would appreciate the help.

1. When posting watch apps, please only post apps that you have used, and have found beneficial in some way.

2. When posting watch apps, please try and be mindful of placing apps in their respective category. This will make it easier for everyone to find apps of possible interest.

3. When posting watch apps, please post whether the app is free or offers "In App Purchase(s). If an app offers, (AIP) is the app regularly updated and is the developer communicative?

4. When posting watch apps, please place an * below any app (with your username) for any apps that have exhibited any ongoing problems, along with the watch model used.

5. If possible, please include the developer website URL link for any apps you share.

Constructive thread based comments are encouraged.

Heath Related Watch Apps

HealthView - An alternative to Apple's Health where you can view Health Data by day/week/moth in clean, polished views. Free download, 14 day trial, $7.99 Subscription/yr

Heart Based

Cardiogram - It grants users Fitbit-like insight into their heart rates and helps extrapolate trends. It offers premium features at a monthly subscription of $12.99, or a year for $99. The core features are free.

HeartWatch - from the makers of SleepWatch. Measures heart rate throughout the day. Monitor points include walking, regular, workout and sleeping. $2.99

Cycling

Cyclemeter - Works in conjunction with the iPhone App. Watch app allows you to view progress, start/stop, pause the ride. Free download with core feature, $9.99 for Elite. Also tracks runs & walks.

Running

Walking

Rowing

Weightlifting

High Impact

Sleeping

Sleep+++ - Free app with optional "in app purchase."

Pillow - Free app with optional "in app purchase." Excellent sleep tracking app. I have found it much more readable to usable than Autosleep.

Autosleep - App is $2.99 and offers very detailed analysis of your sleeping patterns. This is a very popular app amongst forum members.

Sleep Watch - Another good sleep tracking app. Free version offers a nice selection of core features. Subscription is optional. $3.99/mo or $29.99/yr

Reminder Based Apps

Travel Based

Citymapper - Free app that provides Real-time departures. Transit maps. Line status and real-time disruption alerts. Uber integration. Bike routing and live bike share info. Constant updates. Everything you need -- and may not even realize you need -- to manage your life in the city.

Entertainment Based

Bose Soundtouch If you own Bose Soundtouch devices, you're able to control volume and presets though the watch utility. App must be installed on phone, must own Soundtouch speakers. Free to download.

Utility Based

UConnect - With FCA Vehicles you have the ability to lock/unlock, start/stop your vehicle from Apple Watch. Requires the app installed on iPhone + requires subscription to UConnect Access.

MyQ - With wifi enabled Chamberlain (or hub) you can see the garage door status, open and close the garage door. App must be installed on phone. Free to download.

Productivity Based

Work Based

Home Automation Based

Education Based

Social Media Based

Family Based

Child Friendly

Game Based

Weather

Carrot - Free app with optional "in app purchase" for 3 different tiers. It does default to snarky voice feedback (which can be vulgar at times). The setting can switched to professional voice without any snark. The watch complication works very well updating throughout the day.
* Developer is active and very responsive with updates, and is also a member of the forum.

Dark Sky - Free app with "in app purchase" available, which is very affordable on a yearly basis.

MyRadar - Very detailed app with excellent screen layout for the Apple Watch. It does have a problem with the watch complication updating on its own. The developers are aware and are working to fix that problem in an upcoming update.

Snowflake Weather - App cost $4.99 with optional "in app purchase" of $4.99. This is a new app. It too provides a lot of watch friendly data. Like MyRadar, the watch complication syncing is not working without manually opening the watch app each time. The developer is aware and has a big update coming soon. He has been very responsive to feedback and suggestions.

Last edited by JT2002TJ:

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You have Education listed twice but if you don’t mind, may I suggest another category... Utilities or Productivity. This would include apps such as calculators, note taking, etc. Unless you intended them to fit into one of your mentioned categories.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Singapore
I'd like to suggest Carrot Weather and Citymapper under Utility based apps - although a lot of folks probably know these apps. Carrot is free but has paid tiers for more customization options. Citymapper is free.

I'd also like to suggest Sleep++, a useful sleep tracker which I believe is free, under Health based app.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
“Cardiogram” for health. It grants users Fitbit-like insight into their heart rates and helps extrapolate trends.

It offers premium features at a monthly subscription of $12.99, or a year for $99.
The core features are free.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Fantastic idea, thanks for getting the ball rolling on this project! I don't see any option to edit the opening post. Am I missing something? 🤔
When I created the thread, I ticked the "Wiki post" option. You should see the edit button on the opening post. If not, we will need to mods to take a look.

Edited to add: I just checked, and I had to enable the Wiki Post option again. It should be working now. Thanks for the letting me know.

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
When I created the thread, I ticked the "Wiki post" option. You should see the edit button on the opening post. If not, we will need to mods to take a look.

Edited to add: I just checked, and I had to enable the Wiki Post option again. It should be working now. Thanks for the letting me know.
Awesome thanks. I can see it now.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.