Useful DuckDuckGo Home Page missing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Texas_Toast, May 17, 2019.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Not sure how to explain this, because my computer broke and I'm not sure if I remember how it used to look...

About a year ago, I switched my default home page in Firefox to DuckDuckGo.

Either when I opened up Firefox, or maybe if Firefox was already open and I created a new tab or something like that, I would not only get DuckDuckGo's input field to do a search, but beneath this there was a listing of useful articles that i could choose to read. (There were maybe 4-5 "thumbnails" beneath the search box.)

It seems like after Mozilla f***ed up Firefox about two weeks ago, that after they fixed things that this feature disappared?!

And while I used it daily, I never really paid attention to how it looked, and I certainly was never able to figure out how it even appeared, because technically it was a form of advertising, and I switched from Google to DuckDuckGo to get away from that!

I do recall that a lot of the articles seemed to have some conenction with Pocket or whatever.

Does anyone have a clue what I am describing, and if so, how can I get this feature back in DuckDuckGo and/or Firefox??

Thanks.

2. Zenithal, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 604

I do. You're thinking of the DuckDuckGo extension.

Edit: I went ahead and reread your post. What you're describing is the Pocket section on the blank tab page with the field in the middle or at the top, and you also had the DuckDuckGo extension, which I believe is best to be installed by visiting their web site. The extension itself as a plethora of customization options.

The articles at the bottom of the page are Pocket. These can be set up by either clicking on the cog wheel somewhere on said page or through your preferences for Firefox. Nothing should have changed with the certificate error. They pushed out both an update to fix it, 66.0.5 and a study to fix the error, whilst deleting any collected anonymous data since the date of the certificate error to the retraction of the study. Additionally, they published one-time-use extensions to rectify the issue which could then be uninstalled.

Whatever happened to your Firefox install is of your own doing.

Directions:

1. Go to DuckDuckGo.com
    2. You will get an overlay asking you to install the extension. Click OK and allow Firefox to install it.
    3. Go to a new tab and click on the cog wheel at the top right of the page. You can't miss it.
    4. Select the checkboxes "Web Search" and "Recommended by Pocket." You may choose anything else you want.

By installing the DuckDuckGo extension, you confirmed that you want your main search engine to be DuckDuckGo and if you did it correctly, you should get a DuckDuckGo icon for the search field. You can change search engines in Firefox's preferences if you wish.

Underneath that, you should see various Pocket sponsored stories.

Hope that helps. I have probably 40 extensions installed on my main install of Firefox with a lot of them having user data files. Nothing is missing. Everything works correctly.