Useful tweaks/applications for your Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cathyy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, just got a new Macbook Air yesterday and I've been pimping it up with cool applications such as the following:

1) BetterTouchTool - Most of you probably know what it is by now. It allows you to map touchpad gestures to your own keyboard shortcuts

2) f.lux - Adjusts the warmness of your screen according to the time of the day

3) HyperSwitch - Brings W7 alt-tabbing to Mac where it shows a preview of each window rather than an icon of each app.

Anyone here have any other applications to recommend to provide a better Mac experience? :)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I like the shareware application iStat Menus and the free application Meteorologist. Another shareware that I like is TextExpander.

Plus in 10.9 pay close attention to System preferences->Security & Privacy pane, Privacy mini-tab , Accessibility entry. Many program need to be accepted.

3. 82asmdf203 macrumors member

DockMod - customize the Dock background using any color, image, or even make it totally transparent if you wish.

Xtrafinder - like TotalFinder? This one is FREE and works better than TF. Many options to choose from (Dual Panel & Dual Windows, arrange folders on top, cut and paste, etc.).

LiteIcon - like CandyBar but found it doesn't work with Mavericks? LiteIcon is free and does a great job.

OnyX -maintenance and customization tool. Too many options/tweaks to list here.

Secrets.prefPane - customize many aspects of OS X without having to use Terminal. Works with Mavericks too.

4. tweaknmod, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

tweaknmod macrumors regular

Fantastical - Amazing iCal and Reminders integration

jiTouch - Awesome multitouch gestures - I can't live without it (use in conjunction with BetterTouchTool)

MenuAndDock - allows you to autohide the menubar

Bartender - puts menubar icons under one, making it cleaner

TotalSpaces - get SnowLeopard spaces back!

ObsidianMenubar - black menubar

Alfred - launch and do anything with a quick shortcut

Geektool - make your desktop an information hub

Dragthing - custom Dock and drawers