Usefulness of IPP pen for non Artistic types

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Oldmanmac, Feb 28, 2017.

  1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    #1
    I understand artists using the pen, But what about non artists? What do you guys use yours for?
     
  2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

    cyclingplatypus

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2007
    Location:
    Earth
    #2
    I use mine for notes and rough sketches. I would say that I use nebo (fantastic app) probably 95% of the time for notes and a couple of other note apps the other 5%.
     
  3. c14nhl macrumors 6502

    c14nhl

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Location:
    Edinburgh
    #3
    I never draw with the Apple Pencil but use it daily at work.

    It has essentially replaced what I would usually use a pad and pen for when taking notes during conference calls and face to face meetings.

    Sounds like an expensive replacement for this purpose, and it is, however I find having all my notes with me at all times, grouped into categories and tagged depending on Project/type, well worth it.
     
  4. Cassady macrumors 6502a

    Cassady

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Location:
    Sqornshellous
    #4
    Annotating PDFs. Annotating and more annotating. And occasionally drawing.

    Also, with the iPad 12.9" resting on a stand on the desk, it's slightly more convenient using the Pencil to navigate/interact with the screen, as more can be reached across the span of the screen, without having to move your arm constantly. Small mercies/1st world problems... ;)
     
  5. AlliFlowers Contributor

    AlliFlowers

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    Location:
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    #5
    Like @c14nhl, I never use mine to draw. But all my notes are in my iPad. I have notebooks for every topic, and always have my information with me. I can also quickly add photos or .pdfs and make notes on them.
     
  6. martint235 macrumors regular

    martint235

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2016
    #6
    Can't draw for toffee but use my pencil for notes or very rough system or business diagrams to explain complex setups to people
     
  7. kingkoopakoopa macrumors newbie

    kingkoopakoopa

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Location:
    S.Cali
    #7
    I think I may return mine... still debating. No stiylus will save me for my chicken scratch
     
  8. Feenician macrumors 601

    Feenician

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2016
    #8
    The thing that really made the pencil useful for me was the MyScript Stylus keyboard app. It's a custom keyboard that lets you use handwriting anywhere in any app where keyboard input is accepted. They recognition is fantastic, even for my terrible handwriting. If you prefer they also have Myscript Stack which lets you write character by character. Both are free and make the pencil a joy to use where I either can't or don't want to use they IPP hardware keyboard.
     
  9. profets macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #9
    Another non-artistic/drawing user here. I use it a lot for annotating PDFs and making quick notes.

    Actually I have one use case at work that I find interesting. I sit in front of an iMac during the day, and a few times each week I receive PDF documents that I used to print out, mark notes by hand, and then scan and put back onto my Mac for future reference/work. With the iPad and Pencil, I use iCloud Drive and open them quickly on my iPad to markup with the Pencil, and then within seconds those updates are reflected on the Mac. Saves time and paper and really makes it an interesting work tool.
     
  10. onepoint macrumors 6502a

    onepoint

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    Note taking. I make forms and save them as PDFs (previously I would have the forms printed off on card stock at Office Depot), and use the iPad Pro to 'annotate' (fill out) the forms at work. Using Microsoft OneNote, I can even search through the handwritten portions later if need be, and everything is accessible in one place, as opposed to hanging on to stacks of the cards each year.
     
  11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

    Nhwhazup

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2010
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #11
    I stopped using a notepad for meetings and now use Notability 100% of the time. I also download all my PowerPoint training presentations and workbooks into Notability and underline and highlight as I present. Also add in blank pages to use instead of a flip chart. I take ideas from the group and write on the iPad and project to the screen. So convenient to keep everything on the iPad. So many uses.
     

Share This Page