Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Do you think Passbook should have it's own barcode scanner so you can scan other people's Passes?

Well, sort of - the camera app should have a barcode and QR code scanner built in.

It's insane that we're still in a world where I've got to type 16 digit codes from Starbucks Pick of the Week cards into my iPhone rather than iOS just scanning something for me.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Well, sort of - the camera app should have a barcode and QR code scanner built in.

It's insane that we're still in a world where I've got to type 16 digit codes from Starbucks Pick of the Week cards into my iPhone rather than iOS just scanning something for me.

There's plenty of barcode scanning apps like Redlaser and Optiscan but it would be handy to have it within Passbook.

Also you could collect Passbook coupons from magazines, posters etc then.

-----

http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/ now supports Passbook as well, they don't have an app but you a Passbook confirmation via email.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
There's plenty of barcode scanning apps like Redlaser and Optiscan but it would be handy to have it within Passbook.

Also you could collect Passbook coupons from magazines, posters etc then.

-----

http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/ now supports Passbook as well, they don't have an app but you a Passbook confirmation via email.

Meh, I don't think having it within passbook would be such an issue if the camera app had it and implemented a proper intents system to pass it on to the relevant app (which in this case would be Passbook).

bookmaniac

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Doesn't work for me! I get this (complete with typo) :)...

Your account type is currently unsupported. We will be adding support for this account type shortly. Please check bask soon.

Funny. Yeah, I saw the same error this morning but it's working for me now. Could be that my account has multiple Oyster cards, because the wife got her Oyster pass on first try.

Finally, an useful pass for UK (in addition to Starbucks)

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
what i find amazing is that people are giving their oyster login details to this website without a second thought!
the owner of the domain, ChiLang Ngo, could be doing anything with your details!

you would enter your bank details if it offered to give you a passbook?

passforce

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
what i find amazing is that people are giving their oyster login details to this website without a second thought!
the owner of the domain, ChiLang Ngo, could be doing anything with your details!

you would enter your bank details if it offered to give you a passbook?
Hi,
I am Chi Lang Ngo, from PassForce - we help businesses adopt Passbook to deliver better services to consumers. We created https://www.oypass.com to show how Passbook technology can be useful today for any iOS 6 user that is using London public transport.

I appreciate you concerns about Oyster login details. All user details are encrypted using industry standard algorithm and stored securely at one of the leading cloud infrastructure providers.
If you want to find out more, please check our About (https://www.oypass.com/about) and Terms & Conditions (https://www.oypass.com/terms).

If you have any other concerns or question, please don't hesitate to contact me at chilang [at] passforce.com

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Hi,
I am Chi Lang Ngo, from PassForce - we help businesses adopt Passbook to deliver better services to consumers. We created https://www.oypass.com to show how Passbook technology can be useful today for any iOS 6 user that is using London public transport.

I appreciate you concerns about Oyster login details. All user details are encrypted using industry standard algorithm and stored securely at one of the leading cloud infrastructure providers.
If you want to find out more, please check our About (https://www.oypass.com/about) and Terms & Conditions (https://www.oypass.com/terms).

If you have any other concerns or question, please don't hesitate to contact me at chilang [at] passforce.com

i still wouldn't be giving you any account details.
if TfL want to build in support via their own website then that is a different story, but you are not associated with TfL in any way, thus giving you account details can only be deemed as a security risk.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Have used the Lufthansa one a lot in the last few weeks, obviously only if you travel a fair bit.

Great isn't it! No need to unlock the phone at the gate, it's there ready and waiting

Oh, and it doesn't rotate like a QR code in an email often does

----------

I think the difference now is that you can now have your card actually within the Passbook app whereas before, you could only have a card within the Starbucks app.

And if you have location services on, when you are near to a Starbucks, your pass is automatically shown on the lock screen
So one click and slide to get to your card, rather than unlocking, opening the app and navigating to your card

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
i still wouldn't be giving you any account details.
if TfL want to build in support via their own website then that is a different story, but you are not associated with TfL in any way, thus giving you account details can only be deemed as a security risk.

Oh good call on this. I just assumed this was something officially sanctioned by TFL and almost went ahead. I note with interest that this chap hasn't confirmed any kind of official affiliation with TFL? Surprised they haven't stopped it.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Oh good call on this. I just assumed this was something officially sanctioned by TFL and almost went ahead. I note with interest that this chap hasn't confirmed any kind of official affiliation with TFL? Surprised they haven't stopped it.

it's hidden away in the Ts&Cs on the website that it isn't officially affiliated.

Oyster Pass and PassForce are not affiliated or endorsed by Transport for London.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Not being able to keep up to date when iOS6 was released, I thought Passbook was going to be like a wallet app where I could put all my cards into it. I finally updated my os last week and I can't find a damn thing to use Passbook for. It's like an app to store other apps that have deals and coupons? For now I think it's going to my last page with Game Center. The first thing I tried to do was put concert tickets into it, but you can only do that if they're bought through a certain network. I want a central holding place and unless I'm completely braindead (which is possible!) this isn't it

When I first opened it, it looked like it would do exactly what I wanted, rewards cards, tickets etc. But I can't do anything wwithout and app from the app store, and none exist that I use.

Last edited:

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Not being able to keep up to date when iOS6 was released, I thought Passbook was going to be like a wallet app where I could put all my cards into it. I finally updated my os last week and I can't find a damn thing to use Passbook for. It's like an app to store other apps that have deals and coupons? For now I think it's going to my last page with Game Center. The first thing I tried to do was put concert tickets into it, but you can only do that if they're bought through a certain network. I want a central holding place and unless I'm completely braindead (which is possible!) this isn't it

When I first opened it, it looked like it would do exactly what I wanted, rewards cards, tickets etc. But I can't do anything wwithout and app from the app store, and none exist that I use.

We just have wait for more companies to adopt it. Check out the rest of this thread to see what's currently available.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
To be honest for most people in the UK there is no point having it, and it seems most companies have no interest in it yet. If take-up is this slow this might turn into another Ping. I have put Passbook into a folder of unwanted Apps with Stocks etc. for the time being.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Can someone explain to me how this Starbucks Passbook thing works? I installed the SB app, put in all my details, card number, etc. Now, when I go to Passbook, my SB card is there, but it is called 'My Card (1679)' and when I tap on the 'i', it says 'Cannot Load App Details' in the top box.
Also, now that the SB card is in Passbook, there is no link there to go to the Store and see the Passbook apps.
What's the difference between showing the SB card from the app and from PB?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Can someone explain to me how this Starbucks Passbook thing works? I installed the SB app, put in all my details, card number, etc. Now, when I go to Passbook, my SB card is there, but it is called 'My Card (1679)' and when I tap on the 'i', it says 'Cannot Load App Details' in the top box.
Also, now that the SB card is in Passbook, there is no link there to go to the Store and see the Passbook apps.
What's the difference between showing the SB card from the app and from PB?

I just used this 10 mins ago.

When you enter starbucks (if you have it down as a favourite) it will alert you on the lockscreen. swipe it like you would any other notification and your card comes up. Once scanned pull you finger down the screen to hide the card and you phone goes back to the lock screen.

p.s there is a pots a few posts back that will link you to the app store list.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I just used this 10 mins ago.

When you enter starbucks (if you have it down as a favourite) it will alert you on the lockscreen. swipe it like you would any other notification and your card comes up. Once scanned pull you finger down the screen to hide the card and you phone goes back to the lock screen.

p.s there is a pots a few posts back that will link you to the app store list.
Thanks for that. What's all this 'My Card (1679)' stuff, and the 'Cannot Load App Details' all about?
Would the behaviour you describe not happen without Passbook?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for that. What's all this 'My Card (1679)' stuff, and the 'Cannot Load App Details' all about?
Would the behaviour you describe not happen without Passbook?

The starbucks app won't launch from the lockscreen as far as I know.

"1679" are the last 4 digits off your card. "cannot load app details" may mean that the app doesn't have any details to add in to the passbook app. I get that message too. :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The starbucks app won't launch from the lockscreen as far as I know.

"1679" are the last 4 digits off your card. "cannot load app details" may mean that the app doesn't have any details to add in to the passbook app. I get that message too. :)
Thanks for that. It would be good if the card could have a nickname other than 'My Card (1679)' don't you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.