Useless afterhours Apple Tech Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SMDrew, Aug 31, 2008.

1. SMDrew macrumors member

I'm a tad frustrated, and thought I'd come here to vent.

I've been having sync problems with the iPhone and iTunes for a while (MDReportTool crashing, failing syncs, etc). Twice before it's happened it has left the phone in the silver Apple logo state. A reset solved he problem, and I would be on my way. This third time it did it, no matter how many resets I did, the phone would not back out of its Apple splash screen. To make matters worse, plugging the phone into the MacBook did nothing (worse than McBain's goggles!).

So my next step is obvious... get help. I went to the Apple site, and found the self-help tech section to be pedestrian and useless. At that point I picked up my home phone and dialed the iPhone help line. To get the b-e-a-utiful notification that Apple support is only for daywalkers, people that choose to crash during normal business hours.

I've contacted Apple service by phone twice before (once for this problem, and once for faulty headphones), but as luck would have it, both issues came up during daytime hours.

The crappy thing is that I had to rely on a third-party site (I love you, MacRumors!) to solve this problem. To me that's inexcusable. Some folks at work ask me how the iPhone would fare in a real business environment, and at this point I have my serious doubts compared to Palm, SmartPhones, and Blackberries. Compared to those three powerhouses, the iPhone still comes across as a "toy".

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wait.....so you're upset that it's 1 in the morning (and on a holiday no less) and you can't get support for your iPhone? No offense, but is the problem so urgent that you can't wait until the morning?

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take it in and get it replaced... Sorry to hear about your misfortune.:(

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Exactly. Similar to a restaurant. You often get better service during the rush when everyone is focused and working at peak efficiency for customer service. If you go in early or late, the staff is small and they are getting the rest of the stuff done in preparation for the rush or trying to get out.

5. SMDrew thread starter macrumors member

Well, unlike a restaurant, this is a point-of-contact for me. Luckily I'm at home so anyone that needs to contact me can do so on the phone line. The last time this happened I had to go to work in the morning, which is unnerving to travel without your normal mode of communication available.

I guess that's what annoys me the most. I'd understand if they didn't staff the iPod helpline. But to me the computer tech support and iPhone tech support should be 24/7, with less than 10min wait times.

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Hold down HOME and LOCK buttons for 20 seconds or so to enter recovery mode.

Connect to your Macbook to restore.

This is all in the manual.

8. SMDrew thread starter macrumors member

Inexcusible. If my phone crapped out (due to software issues) on a Friday at 5:01pm, am I expected to sit pretty until Tuesday at 8am?

Anyways, MacRumors was able to help me. Thank god for the internets!

9. SMDrew thread starter macrumors member

You are correct, this is all in the manual. However my issue transcended what Apple provided in the manual and on their webpage. Countless resets had no effect, and connecting following a reset failed to detect any device on the USB.

To solve the problem I ran into, I had to make use of a feature not documented anywhere by Apple. MacRumors be praised!

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

pipe down its a holiday -___-

11. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

wtf does it being a holiday have to do with it, apple support isn't 24 hours holiday or not. I agree with the OP the support should be 24 hours!