Useless "iPod" word on top left of the screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aucun Express, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Don't you think it is useless to have the word "iPod" on the top left of the iPod touch (on iOS)?
    It is as if we had the word "MacBook" written on the top left of OS X.
    Why do you think they kept this word? Is it to balance with the time and battery when not connected on WiFi (no WiFi would mean no text on the top left)?

Anyway, I know this is not important, but it is bugging me since quite some time.

Am I the only one to have thought about that?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The tax office bugs me. My boss bugs me. My parents bug me. The leak in my roof bugs me. The price of fuel bugs me. The word iPod doesn't.

3. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Couldn't care less, frankly, and I don't know anyone who does.

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

It started with iPhone OS 1, before the iPod touch came out. Since the iPhone has the carrier name there, when the iPod came out, they put "iPod" in the carrier name slot.

I believe, IIRC, that in a .plist file inside the iPod's springboard.app (the app responsible for the home screen and related things) there is a string called CarrierName: and it's listed as "iPod." If you jailbreak an iPod you can change that to whatever you want, including a space. That's the way it used to work, at least.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

+1, depending on OS, the OP should be able to jailbreak perfectly fine and remove it. I've had mine at one point changed to my last name, and a couple other things. Its like Fake Carrier or something...

6. retsgorf297 macrumors newbie

Although I wouldn't jailbreak my iPod or iPad, These previous 2-3 posts are correct (about it being the carrier name). But, I think it would make more sense to have the name of the Network the iPod or iPad is connected to instead of "iPod" or "iPad".

I really don't care that its there. Although, I can understand just wanting to know why it is there.

7. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Non iOS iPods had the word iPod in the top middle of the screen. I guess this was just an evolution.

8. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

I've seen many a complaint on this forum, and I didn't think I could see anything more ridiculous or silly than I already have. Congratulations sir, you have done it. What an utterly, incredibly lame complaint. The mind boggles.

9. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I think it is a little weird to have "iPod" in the status bar, as it's already cluttered enough as it is.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As a previous poster mentioned, this isn't unique to the touch;
    [​IMG]

11. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Some people have bigger things in life to worry about.

12. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Yes I agree, it is useless and stupid! As if we don't know if it is an iPod or an ipad. Both of my iPod and my ipad are jail broken and I installed the program called "WiCarrier" on them. Now the left corner of my IOS device shows the SSID of the WiFi network that it is connected to, which is a hell of a lot more logical and meaningful than the name of the device :rolleyes:

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There are even methods for changing the "Carrier logo" without jailbreaking, although I don't know if they work on the iPod touch. You'll have to Google for how to do them, though.

14. JAT macrumors 603

My socks are itchy.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well..it is written right under the screen...

16. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly my point!
    And to those who are laughing at this, I think that details matter. I'm not saying this is important, but Apple is known to be a company that focus a lot on details.