Usenet,....news reader cant find news groups??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jowin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jowin macrumors newbie

hi,

I signed up to giganews and tried signing into Unison, it told me it couldn't find any news groups and that the reason could be my username and password were wrong. I've tried re-entering it a fews times and get the same problem. I also tried downloading iGrabNews to see if it was just Unison, on iGrabNews it cant find any news groups either. Although on iGrabNews it doesn't come up with an error message, it just does nothing when you tell it to search for news groups.

Im new to usenet and all this so i could be making a simple mistake, im not sure! I've also e-mailed Giganews about this...

Thanks for any help.

Owen

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Giganews assigns a username/password unlike some other providers that will let you choose your own. Go to www.giganews.com and verify the login/password by logging into their website interface and checking out your account info first. If you can successfully log into the website with the l/p, then obviously there's some issue with your newsreader client.

I'm sure Giganews will be able to provide some type of assistance. I've been a member for a long time now and they always get back to me very quickly with the minor issues I've had over the years.

Good luck...

3. Jowin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks for the quick response!

I heard back from giganews...the problem was that i didn't pay the extra $5 for SSL something or other and my newsreader was enabled with SSL so i had to turn that off before it would work.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

SSL encrypts what your downloading or uploading to Giganews.

If that is something your interested in doing (keeping your ISP from sniffing what your doing in Usenet), I would suggest getting that option.

Welcome to Usenet. Here are some "quotes" to help you understand usenet a bit more:

If a million monkeys typed on a million keyboards
    for a million years, eventually all the works of
    Shakespeare would be produced.
    Now, thanks to Usenet, we know this is not true.

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining and a
    source of mind boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
    it."
    --Unknown

Old and forgotten as it is, USENET is still your only one-stop source
    for raunchy, tasteless, or just plain sick jpegs -- and you can't claim
    card-carrying-unreformable-degenerate status until you've spent at least
    a couple of weeks reading alt.sex.stories....

Yes, welcome to Usenet. ;)