Usenet problems(Unison)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zinj, Jun 15, 2007.

1. zinj macrumors member

I'm a recent mac convert(one week actually), and I've been trying to get a good usenet program that actually functions correctly.

My problem is that whenever I try to download several large files from usenet, my internet gets disconnected. Actually, it crashes my entire network. I'm not able to reconnect for several minutes. I've tried three usenet applications(iGrabNews, Unison and NZBgrab) and the same thing happens with all of them. This does not happen on my other Windows PC with Newsbin Pro.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. The only thing that I can think of is that my internet is plugged into a wired router, with my wireless router branched off of that. My MBP connects to the wireless router, whereas my PC is directly connected to the wired router.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i use Unison all the time and haver never experienced any problems. been rock solid and gets the job done. sorry to hear about your troubles.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Since you're seeing the problem with three different programs, I'm thinking that the problem is more that heavy traffic is triggering a problem with your network configuration, than that it's anything particular to Unison or even newsgroups.

As a band-aid, you might try reducing the number of simultaneous connections in the download section of the prefs, just to see if that makes any difference.

The whole disconnection thing makes me think that there may be some incompatibility with one of your routers. Windows and OS X don't use exactly the same network settings, so it's certainly possible for one machine to tickle a router bug while nothing happens when the other is performing a similar transfer.