User a/c can access my data. How to disable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by novetan, Mar 5, 2017.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

My OS is EC and I'm the Admin. I'm using a desktop. I hv permanently plugged in 2 external portable hardisk, one for TM and another as 2nd backup. I hv created another account User but unchecked "Allow user to administer this computer".

Once in the User a/c, he is able to see and can access to TM and 2nd backup disk. That means the user will able to change anything that is personal to me. The user is one of my family members and he need to save files for his work. Hence Guest User is not an option as once he log out, all data will be gone.

Best I can do is unchecked external disk from viewing in the Finder preference. But he merely have to check back and access. How do I disable the portable disk from the User having access permanently?

2. komatsu macrumors 6502

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

EC = El Capitan

Time Machine is fine, they can see the disk but nothing under your user directories. External data disks, you'll need to enable permissions: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21997

4. KALLT macrumors 601

As FreakinEurekan correctly pointed out, Time Machine will mirror the permissions of your Macintosh HD partition. Users are not gaining more access than they already have and they can use Time Machine to restore files within their home directory.

Other HFS+ volumes are usually mounted by the current user. If you need to enforce file-system permissions there as well, then you need to make sure that ‘Ignore ownership of this volume’ in the Finder ‘Get Info’ window of the volume is unchecked.

5. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Eurekan,

Tks for the link. Am able to reassign privileges for TM by changing the Sharing and Permission menu. There is an Admin icon for me to unlock to change privilege.

However for my other hardisk, there isn't any Icon for me to unlock as Admin. Hence the User would still able to "Read and Write" as well.

Any further help?

Tks.

HD.png

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The disk is exFAT format, you can't set permissions. You'd need to reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). However if you do that, it will be usable only on Mac; exFAT can also be used with Windows.

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. Tks for pointing that out.