User Account Picture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lightsout, Oct 9, 2007.

1. lightsout macrumors member

This is a silly question but....

I took a snapshot on my iMac, which I use for my user account. I want to extract that picture and use it on another app - where is this picture physically stored?! :confused: I can't drag it out onto the desktop, so I need another plan.

Thanks! :apple:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you use Photo Booth? If so look in ~/Pictures/Photo Booth/ (where ~/ is your home folder).

Edit: Hmmm... From where is it you cannot drag the picture to the Desktop, BTW?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Setting your account picture appears to update your address book card at the same time. This means the image is stored along with the rest of the address book images at ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/Images

The bad news is that these are not stored in a readily readable format...

4. lightsout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks robbie - you were right, it is in the address book. Whilst the file wasn't apparently useable, I was able to launch address book and then drag it from there to the desktop get it useable! Ta!

The other question - I couldn't drag it from the user manager nor adium, which could both see the picture in my choices.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Those applications simply have not been written to support dragging and dropping out of the image.

6. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

In case you don't see it, I just posted how to do this over here. Hope this helps.

7. kb15 macrumors newbie

Help

Hi i've never used this before so not really sure how it works but here goes...
    when i first got my macbook pro i took an account picture when t first asked me to and loved that picture so much! recently, some friends were messing around changing my backgrounds and accidentally changed my account picture and i now can't find the original photo anywhere! i have read through these replies and have tried to use the ones i understand/can find but s far nothing's worked.
    I would real appreciate any help at all to try to find this picture!!