User account problem.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Abyssgh0st, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Hey everyone,

I bought a MacBook Air over the weekend (And he had the harddrive mostly empty, and when then I imported my user accounts, settings, everything via migration assistant). I deleted his user account and made mine admin, except now every time I try to do an action that prompts me my administrative username/password it comes up with "Jesse" for the default username, nor do I know his password for that account seeing as though via Settings -> Accounts the account I removed did not have that name. Once I'm on that box prompting me for info if I enter my username and password it works, but I want my username to be default. How can I do this..?

Thanks!

2. Scippy macrumors regular

If you do a clean install you won't have that problem.

Other than that.
    Is it possible that he has the root user activated? and is it called Jesse?
    Are there any other accounts on the laptop?

3. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Yeah, he mentioned the clean install. Maybe I'll do it eventually if it becomes a problem.

Not sure about the root user thing, how can I check that?

And no, besides my admin account there are no other accounts left.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What do you mean with "every time I try to do an action that prompts me my administrative username/password" exactly? Does it happen when you change settings in the pref panel or only when moving/copying/replacing files? (Like applications or documents).

5. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Changing settings, opening a few apps (like insomnia which I use all the time), and a few other random actions.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only way I know of to fix this issue is to do a clean install of the OS, like the posters above me said. What is meant by a clean install can be one of two things:

1. Erase and Install (works on all Mac OS X versions)
    2. Archive and Install, without restoring users and network settings (Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and earlier only)