User account recovery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blackiceny, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Blackiceny macrumors newbie

Hello , I am new to Mac and just got my first macbook pro 2.2ghz. I received the laptop with a set username and password (that I dont know) and without the book or restore CDs. After many attempts the seller has still not returned my calls or email so i spent the whole morning searching online for a way to get over the password issue so i can update the computer.

Well i was able to do that and set up a new user account. The problem i have now is that after setting up a new admin account i went and deleting the old admin account i can no longer access all the desktop files and downloads i made while using the old account. Luckily i saved the old folder but do not know how to access it.

When I go to Users, i see it there but when i open it and double click on any folder in it, i get an error message saying that you do not have sufficient access privileges.
    My account is an admin account so i dont know why i cant open it.
    Please help
    thank you

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Why not go to an Apple Store and buy Snow Leopard for $30 and do an erase and install?

3. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

How experienced are you with the UNIX command line? I'd suggest you sudo to root, then chown the files to your new admin account, but you can do some major mayhem to your system if you accidentally change the owner of the wrong directory.

4. Blackiceny thread starter macrumors newbie

Am not very good but if there is a stepwise instruction to follow i may be able to do it. Thanks for the quick response

5. Blackiceny thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other ideas on how to migrate the files to my new admin account?

Also how can i remove the old users name from appearing when ever i restart the computer. Thank you

6. Blackiceny thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a huge difference between the leopard and the Snow leopard?

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There were quite a few speed improvements. And also, you should be able to erase the administrative passwords from the OS X disk, IIRC.

8. Blackiceny thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue With User Account

I was able to erase the Admin password already and deleted the account and created my own Admin account.

The first problem i am face with is that after deleting the old user account which had the password that i had no access to, know i can no longer access the files that i saved from this users account and the applications.

The second problem is that i still have the old users name showing up when i go into system preference and i would like to be able to remove that.

I bet the is a easy solution to my problem just cant find the solution.
    Please any help will be greatly appreciated.