User Account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArmyKnight12, May 15, 2008.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

This has been bothering me for a while now. I have one account on my MBP (obviously, I am the Admin) and when I leave the room I log out. (Currently in college and people like to act childish and mess with my documents).

The problem is, as I am logged out, all someone needs to do is hit "Back" and then "restart" and then the computer will load up with my account, no password needed! In other words, as of now, the logging out to protect my stuff is not working. Any ideas? How can I make it so my password needs to be entered before the computer loads up? Thanks as always.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Turn off "Auto Login" under Security Prefs (I think).

EDIT: uncheck Disable Automatic Login...

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

It's under System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options > Automatic Login. Set it to Disabled and you'll have to enter a password after restarting.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Yes, turn off auto login under System Preferences/Security/General "Disable Automatic Login"

Peace:cool:

5. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

6. Roquefort macrumors member

Staying logged in while securing your Mac

Here's another handy trick, which I use myself.

1. Go to System Preferences.
    2. Pick Accounts.
    3. Click the padlock and enter your name and password (or the name and password of any account that has "administrator" privileges).
    4. Click Login Options.
    5. Enable fast user switching. You'll get a little "person" icon for a new menu in the menu bar.

Then, whenever you leave your computer, you can use the new menu to pick Login Window... without logging out. This hides your active session but leaves it active.

Anyone who comes to your computer can't access your account without your login password. (If you give them their own login name and password, they can login with that and it won't interfere with your also-active session.) When you return to your computer, you can select your name from the login window and enter your password and you'll be returned to your session, right where you left off!