User accounts and hard drive space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stryder09, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stryder09 macrumors newbie

I am fairly new to Mac computers (bought an IMAC in January and followed it up with 3 mini macs) I have just set up an network for home, there are 6 of us in the house so the computers are set up with a user account and a administrator user account on each computer. This past weekend I installed warcraft 3 on the computers under the administrator account on each computer. The game works just fine when logged into the administrator account, the problem arrises when one of the kids logs in under their account. The game says there is not enough hard drive space and to free up space before running.

How do I administrate the amount of hard drive space for the users? I never realised that their is a limit (or is there) on user accounts?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Brad

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a possibility when running as a standard user it doesn't have enough permissions to write to certain parts of the disk. I don't have WoW so can't say for certain. The message about HD space may just because it's guessing as to why it can't do something, rather than necessarily being a "no available HD space issue."

3. enigmakv macrumors newbie

Brad,

I see that this thread is a just over a month old. I found it by doing a search for the same problem on my system.

Here is what I did to fix it. Warcraft 3 now runs great under my standard user account.

1.) Log in to the Administrator account.
    2.) Find the Warcraft folder (HD:Applications:Warcraft III Folder).
    3.) Right click on the folder and select "Get Info..."
    4.) At the bottom of the Get Info window is the "Sharing & Permissions:" section. You may need to click the lock and enter the admin password to gain access.
    5.) Click the "+" below the name list and in the window that pops up, select the name of the standard user account to add it to the list.
    6.) When it is in the list, select it and then on the right side under "Privilege" select "Read & Write" for the newly added user.
    7.) With the new user still hilighted, click the gear icon at the bottom and click on "Apply to enclosed items".

This process adds a new user for the Warcraft folder, provides read and write access of the folder to that user and then applies read and write access to all files and folders in the folder.

8.) Log out of the admin account and back in to the standard user account and all should work as expected. It does for me.

Hope this helped.

kevin

4. devburke Guest

I’m not into Warcraft, but out of general nerd curiosity, does that mean than Warcraft was badly written, at least in the way it stores different users’ data? I mean, shouldn’t a users data be stored in his own user folder, just like preferences and stuff are?

5. tooz macrumors 6502

just switch to the guest account... that should clear up quite a bit of space ;):p