User accounts and installing iWork from my copy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Julien, May 29, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I Bought my mom and dad an iMac and need to install iWork. I have my copy that is installed on my computer. Can I use my copy of iWork to install and then just pay on line when the registration screen comes up or must I go to the Apple store and buy another copy?

Also not too familiar with multiple user accounts. Setting up a user account for each of them on their computer. Do I have to install each program (like iWork) and any shared data files twice (once on each user account)? If so I hope they don't have to pay for a separate license to use on the same computer.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You should purchase a new copy of iWork 2008 first before installing it on their computer. If you wish, download a trial copy of iWork 2008 from Apple and install that to their machine. Later on before the trial period is over purchase a License from Apple.

However, Amazon, NewEgg, etc, on the web has iWork 2008 discounted. It might be better to purchase from one of them while your folks are running the trial copy.

As for accounts, you can install iWork for everyone (all users). One license is all that's required since it will be installed on one machine.

Regards.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Thanks,
    Didn't notice the 30 day free trial. Will do that and order from Newegg.

Just to be clear I will need to make 2 installs on the same computer (1 for each user) using the same licensee key?

4. sahnert macrumors 6502

Unless you specify otherwise, iWork should install into the Applications folder which is available to all users of the machine. You don't have to have a copy for each user on one machine.