User Accounts & Home Folder relevance to New Mac/Migration?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac Skeleton, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mac Skeleton macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I am about to transfer all my data/apps/etc from my 2008 MBP 15" to my new 2011 MacBook Pro 17" and once I do, I need to ship the MBP out to my buddy that bought it from me. So there's really no going back after the transfer. :(

I am rather confused at a few things and have tried searching and read tons of different answers that don't quite get at what I want to know:

1. What exactly does the User Account and Home Folder contain? I mean if I just drag and drop my files (docs/pics/music/apps), what exactly does the Home folder do?

2. I have a few slight issues with my OS X now, apps quitting etc. I would love to do a fresh install, does migration assistant do this?

3. How should I go about getting the cleanest and freshest install this without losing all my data. (I have lots of Safari Bookmarks, firewall settings, and quite a few apps, but not a crazy amount, etc)???

ANY input would help. I also don't get the difference between Set Up Assistant and Migration Assistant if there is one.

Thanks in advance.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just use the latest version of OS X and do a fresh install but just at the Disk Utility part erase the internal drive 2 or three times, before continuing the install. This way you weill erase any personal data on that Mac Book before you sell it. This way you can make a user name like Test with the same password and just let the buyer know the test user account to create their own account.