Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Anyone have this working in 5.01?

It installs and I can set the appropriate toggles including the one for Safari. But when I am surfing, I am getting the mobile sites instead of the full sites.

Any suggestions?

thanks! :eek:

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone have this working in 5.01?

It installs and I can set the appropriate toggles including the one for Safari. But when I am surfing, I am getting the mobile sites instead of the full sites.

Any suggestions?

thanks! :eek:

I didn't try it until I saw your post. Confirmed. Exact same thing is happening. :(

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
v1.3-2 seems to work fine here on an iPhone 4s, OS 5.0.1. With it off I get transferred to m.yahoo.com when I try to visit www.yahoo.com. With it on and set to Firefox, I am allowed to stay at www.yahoo.com.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
v1.3-2 seems to work fine here on an iPhone 4s, OS 5.0.1. With it off I get transferred to m.yahoo.com when I try to visit http://www.yahoo.com. With it on and set to Firefox, I am allowed to stay at http://www.yahoo.com.

I don't even get that. I am wondering if I forgot a step?

I installed it, made sure it was turned "on" and then chose Safari from the Apps list. Is that all I need to do?

FYI-iPhone 4S thought I am sure that doesn't matter. I would think 5.01 is 5.01.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Edit: Nevermind, I reread your first post and see you already did this...I don't know...

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I've figured out that it works around 30% of the time now. :( Not on hertz.com (which is the primary reason I got it as you can't book a car to save your life on their mobile or iPhone app :mad:), but yahoo.com does indeed work. Noticed that it also depends WHERE you navigate to on sites. Example: eater.com -- when you click certain articles, you will redirect to the mobile versions of those pages.

Hope this gets updated and fixed.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Yes, I can confirm that it doesn't work for some sites that you mentioned, such as hertz.com. But if I go to whatsmyuseragent.com, with UAFaker running, my fake user agent string is displayed correctly. Does this mean that some sites, such as Hertz, are using methods besides the user agent to determine if we are on a mobile device?

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Yes, I can confirm that it doesn't work for some sites that you mentioned, such as hertz.com. But if I go to whatsmyuseragent.com, with UAFaker running, my fake user agent string is displayed correctly. Does this mean that some sites, such as Hertz, are using methods besides the user agent to determine if we are on a mobile device?

:( Not encouraging.

I know this sounds minor, but this tweak is one of the PRIMARY reasons I JB. I HATE mobile sites and I hate the fact that these Web Site owners think we need a stripped down, ugly, virtually useless web site. I mean really, HSPA +, even "old" 3G is much faster than my first DSL connection. There really is no need anymore for "mobile" versions anymore. Does anyone really even use WAP anymore?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
:( Not encouraging.

I know this sounds minor, but this tweak is one of the PRIMARY reasons I JB. I HATE mobile sites and I hate the fact that these Web Site owners think we need a stripped down, ugly, virtually useless web site. I mean really, HSPA +, even "old" 3G is much faster than my first DSL connection. There really is no need anymore for "mobile" versions anymore. Does anyone really even use WAP anymore?

this is not an direct answer to your issue, but if you cannot get it to work I would suggest alternatively trying Atomic Web Browser. It will allow you to change the user Agent to any of the following:

Atomic-iPad.jpg

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
That page lists User Agent Faker v1.1. The latest is 1.3.2 and I can confirm that it does work for its sole purpose of changing your user agent string on a 4s running IOS v5.0.1.

I think the problem with some sites is that there are other ways to detect mobile browsers. I know of two:

1) Using javascript request the browser size, screen.width and screen.height. My iPhone 4s reports 320x480. My desktop reports 1920x1200. So now, just redirect browsers with a small size (width <= 480) to your mobile site.

2) Using the CSS media property to deliver a specialized CSS file to browsers with a small screen size.

<link media="only screen and (min-device-width: 481px)" href="desktop.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link media="only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="mobile.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I noticed even last year on 4.x some sites are figuring out the mobile browser in spite of UA Faker so maybe more are doing it.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010

I don't think so since my iP4 running iOS 4.1 had no problems on any sites I navigated to... Perhaps the app just needs to be updated.

There really is no need anymore for "mobile" versions anymore.

There is if you own a BB. :D

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I don't think so since my iP4 running iOS 4.1 had no problems on any sites I navigated to... Perhaps the app just needs to be updated.
The only thing it is supposed to do is change your user agent string and I can guarantee that it is doing that correctly. You can verify it too, just go to http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com with User Agent Faker v1.3.2 enabled for Safari and set to something other than iPad or iPhone and you will see that your user agent no longer identifies your browser as a mobile device.

I've looked through the hertz.com javascript code and, while it is obfuscated so I can't be 100% sure of what it is doing, I am sure that it requests your screen width and height, which, as I stated above, can be used to force you to the mobile site. They also appear to check if you have shockwaveflash available, which could be another way they determine whether or not to send you to the mobile site.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
The only thing it is supposed to do is change your user agent string and I can guarantee that it is doing that correctly. You can verify it too, just go to http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com with User Agent Faker v1.3.2 enabled for Safari and set to something other than iPad or iPhone and you will see that your user agent no longer identifies your browser as a mobile device.

I've looked through the hertz.com javascript code and, while it is obfuscated so I can't be 100% sure of what it is doing, I am sure that it requests your screen width and height, which, as I stated above, can be used to force you to the mobile site. They also appear to check if you have shockwaveflash available, which could be another way they determine whether or not to send you to the mobile site.

I'm sure what you're saying carries credence as well. All I'm reporting is that on the 4S running 5.0.1, hertz.com redirects to the mobile site; on the 4 running 4.1, it's not. As to why this is happening, I have no idea.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
After some more investigation, I have found that User Agent Faker v1.3.2 for iPhone running on a 4s with IOS 5.0.1 only modifies the http header value for User-Agent. It does not alter the javascript response to navigator.userAgent which could be another reason why it doesn't work for all sites.

In contrast, User Agents Switcher v0.7.3 running on Firefox 9 and Windows XP changes both the http header and the javascript response.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
this is not an direct answer to your issue, but if you cannot get it to work I would suggest alternatively trying Atomic Web Browser.
I just tried it out. While it does change both the http header value for User-Agent and the javascript response to navigator.userAgent it does not change the javascript response to navigator.platform. The iPhone still responds with "iPhone" and the iPad still responds with "iPad."

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just tried it out. While it does change both the http header value for User-Agent and the javascript response to navigator.userAgent it does not change the javascript response to navigator.platform. The iPhone still responds with "iPhone" and the iPad still responds with "iPad."

Weird, I haven't dig into it lately but last time, when they released v6 it was an option to define a custom User Agent String.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Atomic Browser does allow you to define a custom "user agent" string but the javascript property for navigator.platform is a separate element from navigator.userAgent. This means that changing userAgent does not set the correct navigator.platform property. I don't know how many sites use the navigator.platform property, but if any of them do, then just changing the user agent is not enough.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Use Puffin browser. Because it accepts Flash content, it seems to load true desktop versions of sites more often then not. Good luck! :)

glis

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
I just tried hertz.com with iCab Mobile and I get the desktop version as expected.

pdxrealtor1

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Subscribing as I'm interested in a safari user agent fix as well.

With the safari uploader tweak I'm really not wanting to use anything else.

If only frash would come back!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
It works for me. I have it set to Firefox. I do not get mobile sites anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.