User and user group file permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tenmiles, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tenmiles macrumors newbie

I have a config file, /etc/my.cnf that has permissions set via the finder gui to have read/write for anyone that's an "admin". My user is an admin (turns out I'm the only user as well), but when I open this file (it's plain text) in text edit it gives me an error on save saying that I don't have permissions for the folder that it's in. I can, however, use nano via the terminal and modify the file without any issues.

I don't want to set read/write permissions on /etc to everyone, so how do I make it so TextEdit (and thus other programs having the same problem) can write to that file?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

How about entering this in Terminal:

Code:
    sudo open -e /etc/my.cnf

3. tenmiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Also does not work.

4. tenmiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking into it more Text Edit tries to auto save which is what it was complaining about with the directory because it wants to create a new file that is the backup which is something that my other program does as well.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Is there a reason why this config file needs to be in /etc? This seems like a bad location.

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

It's a pretty standard directory for config files...

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

But not for user-owned config files that need to be frequently updated using TextEdit. :)