/User/Applications folder is missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yogi613, Aug 21, 2007.

1. yogi613 macrumors newbie

Well turns out I accidentally "deleted" the Applications folder under the user which would be me in finder. I do however have an Applications folder under the volume. So it goes like this:

/Volumes/HDD/Applications I do have
    /Volumes/HDD/Users/me/Applications I do not have

Just curious as to if I really need the Applications under users and how I would go about getting it back without just making an alias. I havent had any errors or anything its just a little annoying having to switch in finder when Im trying to launch an app.

any help is awesome,
    thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

By default there is no /Users/yourusername/Applications.

So if there was one, you (or someone else) put it there.

Perhaps you mean from the sidebar of a Finder window?

Attached Files:

3. yogi613 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats sort of what I mean. I have the Applications in the sidebar but it used to be that I could click in the sidebar on the user (me) and inside I would have an Applications folder that was the exact same as the main Applications folder. Was that simply an alias to the main folder? I dont remember it having the little alias arrow like a normal alias you create.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it wasn't there by default, I assure you. But it certainly sounds like it was just an alias. Which you can certainly recreate.

5. yogi613 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then. I could have sworn there was one when I did a fresh install. But then again I could be crazy. Anyway I appreciate the info. Like I said i havent gotten any errors from it, just a bit curious.

Thanks

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you did an Archive & Install the preserved your Users and Network settings, then the alias was preserved in your home directory. It's definitely not installed by default in a clean install or out of the box.

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Yellow is 100% correct on this. You probably just created an alias as /Applications/Users/accountname/Applications is not a default folder.