user configurability concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glassjawed, Aug 18, 2011.

1. glassjawed macrumors newbie

Hi, so I hear that the macbook pros coming out in 2012 will have a redesign to look more like the macbook airs.

will that mean these will be less user-configurable? You already can't do RAM upgrades to the Macbook Airs for example. I really don't want to pay a huge apple premium to upgrade RAM and hard drives because I couldn't do it myself via a third party.

and two, would you all still buy these super-thin macbook pros if that is the case? I don't see a good reason why I should.

Thanks.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I thought the air was designed after the pros, the unibody, the backlight keyboard, the same GPU as the 13in pros...

I believe if anything, the next Pros will have no CD drive at max. Pro's have to be customizable because they are being sold to a completely different market that has completely different needs...such as 16GB of RAM and an OWC SSD :)<

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

We don't know anything about the next generation Macs yet... that's just a rumor. It could very easily still be the same design.

I don't believe that Apple will make the Pros any less user-configurable. That's a big turn off in my opinion.