User data&settings migration - help plz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sf-top, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sf-top macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have a mac running OS X 10.8.4. I've been using this mac for 2 years with the local account. Now I've joined domain at my office and, obviously, have to work under my domain account.
    The question is - is there any way to transfer all the data, settings, etc from my local account to my domain account on the same mac?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You could try the Migration Assistant while logged into the domain account. No clue on whether it will work or not but only thing I can think of to try.

3. sf-top thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't ((

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Have you already bound your Mac to the Active Directory domain? If not then you should check with your IT folks to help bind your Mac. There is an option when binding (see attachment) to create a mobile account at login. If it's not checked you can go back and check it then click OK to save the change. What this does is basically create a local user home folder for the domain account that is logging in, this will allow you to still log in when not connected to your office network. Why this is important here is since you already have a home folder it won't need to create one, however you need to remove your local user account so that the domain account can attach to your user folder.

Before we start the conversion to a mobile Active Directory account we need to create a secondary Admin user, you can do this in System Preferences > Users and Groups. To remove the original account, dive into Terminal and use the following commands, substituting your local short name and directory short name for USERNAME and DIRECTORYUSERNAME respectively. ONLY DO THIS ONCE THE MAC IS BOUND TO ACTIVE DIRECTORY. The damage is somewhat reversible but it's a waste of time unless you're bound to Active Directory.

At this point, if you're bound properly to Active Directory, you should be able to log out and log back in using your network credentials. When you successfully login using your Active Directory info you will more than likely run into a lot of permissions errors, this is normal. Log back out and login to your secondary admin account. You will need to run these commands in Terminal, again substituting USERNAME with your directory username, to resolve the permissions errors in your new account.

This should get you up and running. Let me know if you run into any hiccups.

Attached Files: