User Editable Webpages (CMS?)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JOD8FY, Jul 12, 2007.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hello all,

I want to create a home rental website. To do this, I want to create a webpage template where the renter can upload pictures and enter text in certain areas (the renter must be required to log in first). Ultimately, I design the template (and therefore the page layout), but the renter just uploads their pictures and enters text and it appears in the right places on the page. I also want to have a few pop-up menus so the renter can classify their home style, etc. How do I go about making a website like this? I have looked at Content Management Systems (CMS), and they seem to be similar to what I want to do. Is this the best option? I've never used CMS before, can anyone make some recommendations for software?

Thanks for all the help.
    JOD8FY

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

A CMS is pretty much what you have been looking for! a good one is Drupal, although it is not the easiest to use. just do a quick search on google and there will be tons of results

3. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for your reply. Right now, I'm using RapidWeaver to make the site. I took a look at WebYep because of its integration with RW, but it didn't seem like it would let me design the page layout.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

durpal is big is and powerful and feature rich, but its also big and bloated and slow. Most drupal sites take 3 seconds or more just to change a page.

5. buzzmedia macrumors newbie

Have a look at Open Realty (http://www.open-realty.org/) - it seems to be exactly what you need, and all the "heavy lifting" has been done already.